Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VM451 - British Embassy in Israel Motion 2017 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this Motion pass?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    17.78%
    On the contrary, No
    60.00%
    Abstain
    22.22%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    VM451 - British Embassy in Israel Motion 2017, Saunders16 MP, Connor27 MP

This house believes that the British Embassy to the state of Israel should be moved to Israeli administered West Jerusalem.

This house also recognises the claim of the state of Palestine to the territory of East Jerusalem, however, this house believes that West Jerusalem is the rightful capital of Israel, and therefore is the rightful location of the British embassy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstaining as promised.

I don't live there, so I don't deserve an opinion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This motion does make sense; but not now; not until a pragmatic and effective two-state solution is actually implemented.

And even then, when the solution actually remains in effect and more importantly works for the corresponding people, the British Government should establish an additional embassy in the respective state; rather than provoke the situation further.

Hence, Nay for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Abstaining as promised.

I don't live there, so I don't deserve an opinion.
    But as a member of the sovereign British parliament you control the Foreign and Commonwealth office, and the embassy (and by extension its location) is controlled by us in Parliament.

Think of it this way: how would you feel if another country put their embassy in Birmingham so as to not offend British separatists?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    But as a member of the sovereign British parliament you control the Foreign and Commonwealth office, and the embassy (and by extension its location) is controlled by us in Parliament.

Think of it this way: how would you feel if another country put their embassy in Birmingham so as to not offend British separatists?
    I live in Bham so I personally wouldn't mind. Jk.
    This actually makes total sense. Though there isn't a two state solution being properly implemented yet, we, and all the countries with a diplomatic relationship with Israel/Palestine should work towards that solution. It's an aye btw.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Agreed. That doesn't mean the rest of the world is entitled to an opinion on Israeli/Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. That doesn't mean the rest of the world is entitled to an opinion on Israeli/Palestine.
    That isn't really the point of the motion - all it's doing is moving the embassy to the capital of Israel while still recognising the UN supported Palestinian claim to East Jerusalem, it just makes sense.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That isn't really the point of the motion - all it's doing is moving the embassy to the capital of Israel while still recognising the UN supported Palestinian claim to East Jerusalem, it just makes sense.
    The second sentence is my issue. Don't really care where the embassy it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    The second sentence is my issue. Don't really care where the embassy it to be honest.
    Surely it is just common sense that our embassies should be in capital cities (political capitals; before Jacob or JD mention SA and other countries with more than 1 capital)?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Surely it is just common sense that our embassies should be in capital cities (political capitals; before Jacob or JD mention SA and other countries with more than 1 capital)?
    surely it doesn't make a difference for a country this size.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Is Jerusalem the capital and political centre of Israel? Yes? Well that was easy.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we recognise west Jerusalem as part of Israel when Israel doesn’t even recognise the West Bank as Palestinian territory and continues violating international law by building illegal settlements in such territory.

All of that aside, in terms of practicality, moving the embassy to west Jerusalem would certainly increase the threat of terrorism so it’s an easy no vote from me
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstaining as I don’t see the point of this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstaining to retain neutrality. Nothing should be inferred by the vote and should not be seen as a judgement on either side.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxyn)
    Why should we recognise west Jerusalem as part of Israel when Israel doesn’t even recognise the West Bank as Palestinian territory and continues violating international law by building illegal settlements in such territory.

All of that aside, in terms of practicality, moving the embassy to west Jerusalem would certainly increase the threat of terrorism so it’s an easy no vote from me
    Why do we recognise all the territory captured since Israel's formation rather than the 1947 lines given they weren't legally procured given they were in wars (which aren't legal) when the Arabs decided Israel should cease to exist as soon as it existed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rakas21 can you confirm _gcx’s postal vote?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Rakas21 can you confirm _gcx’s postal vote?
    Have no fear, vote verification was near. I normally add stuff like that all at once along with checking for double votes ect..

One Aye was added for seat 40.

Order!
    The Ayes to the right, 8.
    The Noes to the left, 27.
    Abstentions, 10.

I think the Nay's have it! The Nay's have it! Unlock!!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.