Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First year of uni- no friends making me feel depressed :( Watch

First of all, i'm not a socially awkward/shy person, I'm fairly confident and have no problem talking to people.
    I'm a 19 year old female studying engineering and i'm finding it difficult making friends with people on my course. I'm quite a 'girly' girl and personality wise seem very different to all of the other girls i'm studying with. I don't have alot in common with them and the same can be said about the guys.
    I've realised that the only other way I can make friends is outside the course.
    However, out of the societies i've joined, none seem active and again I haven't clicked with anyone.
    There are people that I talk to on my course and sometimes hang/go out with but it's draining as I really don't enjoy being with them (sorry if this comes across as arrogant). I don't know what to do, I'm starting to wish I chose a different course like art/humanities or something

ReputationRep:
    You should choose a course by looking at the topics it covers and the job you aspire to have, not to make friends. However, having some people to talk to during the course makes the experience much brighter. I would start trying to connect with other people in your course by talking about shared interests, at first its going to seem like a bit of a chore but after a while you ll find yourself chatting on and on about the simplest little things. Also trying to make friends with someone that you have group work is a good idea as you already have something to talk about (the group project).
    Hope that helped (at least a bit :3),
    Ben

I did not click with anyone on my course, I am not sure if it is because I am 24 and done with nights out getting stupidly drunk in town... or we just were too different but I stuck it out. I was literally the black sheep, I sat on my own... I did my first year and left.

I was determined to at least get something from it. Maybe do the same and then rethink what you want to do.
    Or give it until Christmas, they might still let you swap courses?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.