The Student Room Group

How can I find the motivation to lose weight and improve myself?

I’m 16. I want to lose about 2 stone. About a year ago I lost a stone but I couldn’t shift anymore and now I’ve put some back on. I started to get excited that I was going to start to like my body but now I can’t look at myself again. I want to start making an effort with my appearance. I try not to eat much and for months I did well, I didn’t drink any fizzy drinks for months. Now I end up having usually a can a day and I eat too much. I’ll usually eat More on the weekend and then on Sunday night I hate myself for doing it but then I will eat more because I feel like it’s no point. Then on Monday I hate myself even more so I won’t have food in school and won’t snack in the house. I do that then most days of the week and then the weekend comes again. I can’t find the motivation because I haven’t seen results for so long! Can someone please help? I want to get down to around 8.5-9 stone. Thanks
This is a common problem that many people face. The motivation.... if I'm being honest..... can only come from you. You have to get to a point where you say I want to try something else what I'm doing now isn't making me happy.

So, first, find out what you should weigh for based upon your height to be medically healthy. When you are healthy you'll be happy and look good. Then get a scale.
This should ONLY be used as a guide! Never put too much emphasis on what the scale says because different healthy body types will weight a different amount.
Once you feel that medically you would feel better losing weight then, for me, the best weight to lose weight is to cut out carbs. It isn't terribly difficult and becomes easier once you get into the groove but with all diets you'll risk putting the weight back on if you go off of it. So, again for me, I cut out white items from my diet starting w/ white sugar and anything made with white sugar (I tell myself it's poison), I also cut out white starches such as rice, potatoes, pasta etc. I eat a lot more vegetables than before and I eat plenty of meat. But, I know me and if I make it too restrictive I just say 'screw it' and quit. So, I allow myself a cheat day. That day I eat what I want. Strangely, I found items I used to LOVE didn't appeal to me as much once I ate them. If it was Monday and I was craving a chocolate cupcake I would practice delayed gratification and tell myself I could have that cupcake on Saturday. On Saturday I'd buy and eat that cupcake (and it wasn't amazing like I expected it to be). I weighed every other day when I first woke up. I wouldn't freak out if I hadn't lost weight either I just stuck with it. Following this I eventually lost 1(+) stones. I lost about 1 -2 pounds per week. Not fast but it worked for me. And of course moving my body - walking, jogging etc. helps.

Losing weight is a mind game as much as it is about the physical body. I've had to convince myself I don't need that snack because I had breakfast and am actually not hungry. I've had to practice delayed gratification for desserts etc. It isn't easy mentally but that is where the work has to be done. Also, allowing yourself 1-2 cheat days allows you to go out and eat with your friends without wrecking all you've worked hard to achieve. It's not easy but it is achievable and you've done it once before so you can do it again. Don't give up! You'll feel proud of your success. But please make sure you actually need to lose the weight.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 16. I want to lose about 2 stone. About a year ago I lost a stone but I couldn’t shift anymore and now I’ve put some back on. I started to get excited that I was going to start to like my body but now I can’t look at myself again. I want to start making an effort with my appearance. I try not to eat much and for months I did well, I didn’t drink any fizzy drinks for months. Now I end up having usually a can a day and I eat too much. I’ll usually eat More on the weekend and then on Sunday night I hate myself for doing it but then I will eat more because I feel like it’s no point. Then on Monday I hate myself even more so I won’t have food in school and won’t snack in the house. I do that then most days of the week and then the weekend comes again. I can’t find the motivation because I haven’t seen results for so long! Can someone please help? I want to get down to around 8.5-9 stone. Thanks

have some mental strength-you want to lose weight but end up eating loads on the weekends because you feel like theres no point? do you know how retarded that sounds
to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you need, eating often but in low amounts could help you-drink only water, the sugar from fizzy drinks gets stored as fat.
if you start going to the gym and lifting weights you'll see quicker results. If you're new to the gym you can eat at a caloric deficit whilst gaining muscle-youll look toned in no time. make sure your deficit isn't too crazy though, something like 200-300 will be fine
Reply 3
Original post by Hopefully1
This is a common problem that many people face. The motivation.... if I'm being honest..... can only come from you. You have to get to a point where you say I want to try something else what I'm doing now isn't making me happy.

So, first, find out what you should weigh for based upon your height to be medically healthy. When you are healthy you'll be happy and look good. Then get a scale.
This should ONLY be used as a guide! Never put too much emphasis on what the scale says because different healthy body types will weight a different amount.
Once you feel that medically you would feel better losing weight then, for me, the best weight to lose weight is to cut out carbs. It isn't terribly difficult and becomes easier once you get into the groove but with all diets you'll risk putting the weight back on if you go off of it. So, again for me, I cut out white items from my diet starting w/ white sugar and anything made with white sugar (I tell myself it's poison), I also cut out white starches such as rice, potatoes, pasta etc. I eat a lot more vegetables than before and I eat plenty of meat. But, I know me and if I make it too restrictive I just say 'screw it' and quit. So, I allow myself a cheat day. That day I eat what I want. Strangely, I found items I used to LOVE didn't appeal to me as much once I ate them. If it was Monday and I was craving a chocolate cupcake I would practice delayed gratification and tell myself I could have that cupcake on Saturday. On Saturday I'd buy and eat that cupcake (and it wasn't amazing like I expected it to be). I weighed every other day when I first woke up. I wouldn't freak out if I hadn't lost weight either I just stuck with it. Following this I eventually lost 1(+) stones. I lost about 1 -2 pounds per week. Not fast but it worked for me. And of course moving my body - walking, jogging etc. helps.

Losing weight is a mind game as much as it is about the physical body. I've had to convince myself I don't need that snack because I had breakfast and am actually not hungry. I've had to practice delayed gratification for desserts etc. It isn't easy mentally but that is where the work has to be done. Also, allowing yourself 1-2 cheat days allows you to go out and eat with your friends without wrecking all you've worked hard to achieve. It's not easy but it is achievable and you've done it once before so you can do it again. Don't give up! You'll feel proud of your success. But please make sure you actually need to lose the weight.

IT just went well for so long and I was beginning to slightly be happy and now it’s just all gone. I hate the way I look. Once I get started again I think I’ll be able to do it but at the moment I can’t see that it will have much of Ann effect because it didn’t last time
Reply 4
Original post by angrypoliceman
have some mental strength-you want to lose weight but end up eating loads on the weekends because you feel like theres no point? do you know how retarded that sounds
to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you need, eating often but in low amounts could help you-drink only water, the sugar from fizzy drinks gets stored as fat.
if you start going to the gym and lifting weights you'll see quicker results. If you're new to the gym you can eat at a caloric deficit whilst gaining muscle-youll look toned in no time. make sure your deficit isn't too crazy though, something like 200-300 will be fine

Did you just call me a retard?
Did you just call me a retard?

so what if I did?
Reply 6
so what if I did?

Aye whatever i don’t really care tbh I got worse things to worry about. You just carry on being rude.
Aye whatever i don’t really care tbh I got worse things to worry about. You just carry on being rude.

like being fat? :colondollar:
np for the advice
Reply 8
like being fat? :colondollar:
np for the advice

If your trying to make me feel bad about myself, your too late sorry. And yes, that is one of the things I have to worry about.
If your trying to make me feel bad about myself, your too late sorry. And yes, that is one of the things I have to worry about.

well then take my advice on board, read it again realise I never called u retarded and see me in a different light :colondollar:
-or keep making excuses, up to you

I think the key to being healthy and improving yourself is to love what you're doing. For instance, I love going to the gym, cycling and eating the relatively healthy foods that I do. A good way to get into a diet is to plan what you're going to eat and when. This worked for me, it might not work for you, it does take a long time but I find that it works. You know that what you're eating isn't going to make you fat and is healthy, meaning that you can include snacks into your diet which means that you can still feel relatively full and still be healthy. A little sidenote: don't view a diet as a pathway to losing weight, after which you abandon. A diet should be a permanent change in your life.
I suggest that you find a sport or something to make losing weight much easier and more fun. If you can go to the gym then I suggest that you go (although it can be quite expensive for someone without a job: puregym is something like £17.99 a month). Don't worry about what people will think if they see you in the gym, I'm not the type of person you'd see in the gym (in gym clothes and stuff I look like a nerd) but people (at least at my gym) just mind their own business and are quite helpful sometimes. If you can't do the gym thang then you can go cycling, running, jogging whatever. Just something to burn them calories.
I hope that's a nice coherent reply, but I feel quite ded at the moment so I might have said something that makes no sense. Good luck
I do like excercise, I did pe for gcse( I was the least fittest in my class and only did it because my fit friends did lol) and when I was doing that I was really active. As I said I like excercise but my mother and siblings make comments such as ‘on a diet are you’ and I don’t like it, so I just don’t to it to avoid the comments.
Also, I do want to go to a gym however I can’t get to one so I’m hoping to join one when I start driving next year
well then take my advice on board, read it again realise I never called u retarded and see me in a different light :colondollar:
-or keep making excuses, up to you

Ok I’m sorry I can see now. I didn’t mean to sound like a ***** so again I’m sorry and thanks for the advice

Hey, I’m starting a weight loss blog here on TSR
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5013148
Maybe it will motivate you and me if you check it out?
It’s usuallu easier to do something with someone else:smile:
Anna xx
Original post by AnnaBanana2000
Anna xx

Thank you I will definitely have a look x
Original post by AnnaBanana2000
Anna xx

And good luck x
And good luck x

Thanks :smile: I haven’t started it yet so it’s not much but I’m starting on the 1st November xx
Reply 18
Go to a club, find the hottest chick in the room.

Hit on her, note the look of disgust and burn it into your mind.

Every time you think of having biscuits or coke or **** in the future, remember that look, remember it alongside how you feel looking in a mirror, and put them down, and drink water and chew gum.

Make your bed, every single morning. Sounds trivial, it starts a routine that'll give you the tiniest bit of order that will help do everything else.

Go on Amazon and buy 20kg of dumbells, start low, build them up. Do it 5/7 Days a week. Even if it's only 20/30 curls and shoulder rows.

Ice Cold showers morning and night, horrific at first, but activates brown fat (that burns calories by itself just for existing) and gives you a cold water resistance that's life-saving if ever you fall in a river.

Drink water. All the time. Every single thing you drink, make it water (or a diet protein shake if you really take off on the lifting)

Download Couch to 5k. Once you start building muscle and have confidence, go out running. I go at 6am, nobody is about, nobody can't run, and that running program is take the piss easy to get you running to 5k if you follow it.

Within 4 months you will have hit all your goals.

I was 26 stone when I started doing this, I'm 19 stone now. I started in March.

Quick Reply

Latest