Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    prntscr.com/h11vtn

I have spent at least 50 minutes on it and I can't seem to get the correct answer. Help is VERY much appreciated if you can

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopic)
    prntscr.com/h11vtn

I have spent at least 50 minutes on it and I can't seem to get the correct answer. Help is VERY much appreciated if you can

Thank you.
    Can u post a proper link or picture of the question?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Can u post a proper link or picture of the question?
    The link they've posted works, just copy and paste it into the searchbar of your internet browser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopic)
    prntscr.com/h11vtn

Thank you.
    Hey. This question has a lot of information, and the diagram they've given isn't very helpful.

I would begin by drawing a long horizontal rod, labelled length 8.4m and with its weight acting at its centre of mass (we can assume this is in the middle, so 4.2m from castle).

Then add on all the other forces: vertical normal force at castle (N_c) and river bank (N_r), horse's weight of 3200N acting downwards 2.1m from castle and drawbridge force (400N) acting at an angle of 35 degrees from 0.2m right of river bank.

Once you've got a good diagram, begin the questions.

For the first question, take moments about the pivot at the castle and hence solve for N_r. Take care with all the distances and use the vertical component of the drawbridge's force.

For the second question, take moments about any of the other points where a force acts and hence solve for N_c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    Hey. This question has a lot of information, and the diagram they've given isn't very helpful.

I would begin by drawing a long horizontal rod, labelled length 8.4m and with its weight acting at its centre of mass (we can assume this is in the middle, so 4.2m from castle).

Then add on all the other forces: vertical normal force at castle (N_c) and river bank (N_r), horse's weight of 3200N acting downwards 2.1m from castle and drawbridge force (400N) acting at an angle of 35 degrees from 0.2m right of river bank.

Once you've got a good diagram, begin the questions.

For the first question, take moments about the pivot at the castle and hence solve for N_r. Take care with all the distances and use the vertical component of the drawbridge's force.

For the second question, take moments about any of the other points where a force acts and hence solve for N_c
    For part 2, while you are very correct of course, the idea of the second question (as you would see in many others) is to test one's knowledge of Equilibrum of forces.

"the algebraic sum of forces must be equal to zero."

So having found Nr, Nc is obtained by finding the Equilibrant of the forces.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.