Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically someone I know recently had a baby, but she didn’t know that she was pregnant and she was rushed to hospital when she was in labour but obviously she didn’t realise it was labour she said thought she just extremely bad stomach pains from a cyst or something.

She did pregnancy tests because she had a feeling that she could be, but they all came back negative, she was also on the pill, and her ‘bump’ went towards her back so she didn’t have a bump which caused really bad backs all the time.

I’m just wondering how common this is? Being pregnant with no bump, negative tests, bad backs whilst on the pill.
    For the last month I’ve been having bad backs like my friend and just been stressing about being pregnant.

Does this commonly happen? Or am I just being a worry wart? Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    It isn't stupidly common, but it does happen occasionally. But I wouldn't worry yourself. Pregnancy tests are almost always accurate, also there are normally many other signs aswell, such as the bump, periods, morning sickness etc. So the odds are very unlikely
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically someone I know recently had a baby, but she didn’t know that she was pregnant and she was rushed to hospital when she was in labour but obviously she didn’t realise it was labour she said thought she just extremely bad stomach pains from a cyst or something.

She did pregnancy tests because she had a feeling that she could be, but they all came back negative, she was also on the pill, and her ‘bump’ went towards her back so she didn’t have a bump which caused really bad backs all the time.

I’m just wondering how common this is? Being pregnant with no bump, negative tests, bad backs whilst on the pill.
    For the last month I’ve been having bad backs like my friend and just been stressing about being pregnant.

Does this commonly happen? Or am I just being a worry wart? Hahaha
    Very unlikely if you've done tests, but you may want to see a doc for your back pains just to see what's up with that and if they can help you. You could always mention your pregnancy concerns too.

As far as your back goes:
    Have you injured it or slept funny at any point? Have you taken painkillers for it (preferably ibuprofen)? Do you have a heavy school bag? Have you had a proper bra fitting?
    Just some things to consider.

ReputationRep:
    There are over the counter pregnancy tests that are 95-99% sensitive on the first day after a missed period, let alone later on in the pregnancy.

Your friend is either lying or doesn’t know how to interpret a pregnancy test.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of this problem before, it intrigues me so I wouldn't say its that common seeing I have never heard of it before. With the back pains, im sure they are not indicating you are pregnant. Do you do alot of sport, lifting, sleeping in a funny position or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of this several times, usually in movies and TV programmes, but also a friend of a friend had this happen to her. It can happen if your placenta apparently grows in a certain way that doesn't push your stomach out to an obvious size. Very, very uncommon, though, and extremely rare to reach labour without realising.

ReputationRep:
    It's not common, however I have been hearing about more and more cases about this. She's not lying (we hope) because it is plausible. The pill can fail, some women still have periods while pregnant, the baby can lie in a certain way meaning a bump doesn't develop, the placenta could be in a position which blocks the feelings of the baby's movements and no symptoms can occur. When I put it like that, it does sound like it's pretty easy to happen.

Statistics wise though I'm sure it's up in the "very rare" category. Go to your dr for your back pains and just mention you might be pregnant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.