Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advanced Higher Chemistry question - equilibrium (anyone can help!) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am stuck on this question (I know b and have an answer for c (I got 6.63 but I have no idea if this is right)
    I am not sure what part a is asking of me? It just sounds like it wants me to write formula Kw=[H+][OH-] but that surely can't be right? I will try attach the photo as a response to this Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    Hi
    I am stuck on this question (I know b and have an answer for c (I got 6.63 but I have no idea if this is right)
    I am not sure what part a is asking of me? It just sounds like it wants me to write formula Kw=[H+][OH-] but that surely can't be right? I will try attach the photo as a response to this Thank you!
    Here is the question (there is no marking scheme online btw)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Look at the marking, it's 1 mark, all they want is the correct expression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    Look at the marking, it's 1 mark, all they want is the correct expression
    so I was right to put just the formula? I was confused as I've never had a question ask me for a formula that's in the data booklet haha. Thank you for helping me out!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    Hi
    You have deduced a) correctly.

You have the correct answer for c). The key is realising that for pure water [H+] = [OH-] and therefore Kw = [H+]^2 (For pure water only)
    I think you must have realised this judging by your correct answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    You have deduced a) correctly.

You have the correct answer for c). The key is realising that for pure water [H+] = [OH-] and therefore Kw = [H+]^2 (For pure water only)
    I think you must have realised this judging by your correct answer.
    Thank you, it makes much more sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.