Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    for graphing y=f(IxI)
    why is it a reflection in the y axis, i thought the makes all X values positive and that means Y values too????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustgotAstar)
    for graphing y=f(IxI)
    why is it a reflection in the y axis, i thought the makes all X values positive and that means Y values too????
    The y value of the negative x values becomes positive. By drawing this part of the graph with the positive parts, it looks like it's a reflection in the y axis.
    It's just a linear function that meets the x axis at y=0 so the reflection is in y=0, the y axis.

Spoiler:
    Show

That's what I understand.

ReputationRep:
    If you take f(x) = x that will mean y = |x|
    So the y value when x = -2 will be the same as when x = 2 so it is going to be reflected in the y axis

However if f(x) = x-4 that will mean y = |x|-4 so values where |x|<4 the y value will be negative, so it doesn't always follow that y = f(|x|) produces positive values of y, it depends of the function f(x)

ReputationRep:
    The X value can be a negative, however the modulus of a plus or minus value is always positive i.e so when X = -3, Y = 3 as the -3 is converted into a 3, so the Y value never goes below 0.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    for graphing y=f(IxI)
    Try plotting the simplest function: y = x and then plot y = modulus x. See what happens!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The value of y will be positive regardless of |x| being positive or negative because the modulus function states that the value will be positive hence the positive y values. I just remember it like this because it makes it easier to understand and apply unless you are doing complicated problems.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    for graphing y=f(IxI)
    For a function f(x), replacing x \mapsto |x| means that f(|-5|)=f(|5|) and f(|-1|)=f(|1|), and so on until x=0. In fact, f(|-x|)=f(|x|). This is symmetrical around the line x=0, which is the y-axis and hence the x&gt;0 portion looks reflected in the y-axis to look like a reflection on x&lt;0 portion of the graph.

For all OUTPUTS to be positive, ie your Y values as you'd refer to them, you'd need to have |f(x)| or something like that with the modulus brackets on the entire function.

Simple example, take f(x)=(x-1)(x-2)=x^2-3x+2 which takes strictly negative values for 1&lt;x&lt;2, then graphing f(|x|)=|x|^2-3|x|+2 shows you the reflection of the x&gt;0 portion of f(x) in the y-axis, and so the graph must dip again below 0 in the region -2&lt;x&lt;-1

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks guys, you all made it really clear particularly RDKGames

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.