Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

rm.25's attempt at A Levels A*AA Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    I'm not entirely sure what they're like compared to a - levels , they are the qualifications that we need to get into uni also sometimes with advanced highers which is basically first year uni work. It says on the UCAS tarrif they are equivalent to AS-Levels
    Oh thats calm then. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Oh thats calm then. Good luck
    Thanks, you too! Have you got a GYG blog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    Thanks, you too! Have you got a GYG blog?
    naah thats long and im lazy lol. do you have one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    naah thats long and im lazy lol. do you have one?
    Aha, yeah heres mine if you wanna check it out - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Back to Basics
    Update 02/11/17

HEY

Biology test tomorrow and I know nothing lets goooooooo

Biology
    We have been looking at biological molecules and have covered:
    • Proteins
    • Lipids
    • Inorganic Ions
    • Carbohydrates
    • Water

It doesn't seem like a long topic but if you look at the subtopics...
    I have covered pretty much everything and have been doing past paper questions but it's not sticking in my mind, basically because I haven't really found the topic that interesting. But nevertheless one must stay focused and concentrate on the structure of a monosaccharide (help). The main way that I revise is watching videos, reading/making notes and making mindmaps to make sure I understand and learn the information before applying it with past papers.

Back to Basics
    After getting back my chemistry test, I realised that I got some of the most basic questions wrong like balancing equations and writing formulae. So I dug out my CGP guide from GCSE and started all over again. Its a key skill needed for chemistry and my teacher reinforced the fact that if we don't know it, we would really struggle throughout A Level Chemistry. I also found out that a lot of people in my chemistry class got similar marks to me which kind of put my mind at a slight ease. I thought that I was at the bottom of the class, honestly.

Anyway, must do biology revision

BYEEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Results and Reflections
    Update 09/11/17

HEY

Results
    Ok so result from the biological molecules test = 63% which is better than mosts tests I have done so far but ngl really thought I had this one in the bag and at least got 70%. Wellllll... I tripped up on the longer questions here and realised that my structure needs to be improved, hopefully that will make my writing flow more and lead to more marks next time So task for the next coming weeks is to do a few longer questions on biological molecules and get used to A Level questions and marking.

Reflections
    In maths we have just some finished graph work on translations, reflections, stretches, quartic graphs and all that jazzzz. Next step is to do some revision on this chapter and also to complete my homework on graph reflections. The topic hasn't been too difficult because we covered most of it in GCSE but now I have to go through some past papers to really make sure I know what I'm doing.

In other news, my evening routine has partially worked so far! There's been a couple of days where the bus home has been delayed and then I don't really stick to the schedule but yeaaa

Tasks for today and tomorrow:
    • Biology practical write up
    • Maths graph homework
    • Chemistry intermolecular bonding homework
    • Biology enzyme reading

BYEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Statistics and Shapes of Molecules
    Update 18/11/17

HEY

Late post This week has been busyyy: 2 PAGs (which were really confusing), lots of homework, volunteering application deadline, new extra-curricular clubs etc etc

Statistics
    My maths teacher introduced the dreaded statistics topic this week I can already tell this will my weakest point in maths. We have covered stratified sampling, systematic sampling, simple random sampling and the advantages/disadvantages of each. So far its not so bad but after having looked further ahead into the textbook... I have two maths teachers so with one we will be carrying on with pure maths and the other is teaching stats. The homework set for stats has been ok and pretty straight forward lately but I'm sure that won't last long Whilst this has been going on, I have been going over all of my notes from the start of term as there are rumours of a big test before xmas holidays start on EVERYTHING we've done over the past months. :unimpressed:

Shapes of Molecules
    Chemistry has actually been quite fun recently. We made shapes of molecules from balloons and marshmallows last week :grin: Tetrahedral, octahedral, linear, bent, trigonal and all that jazz. But we also learnt about intermolecular bonding which was a little confusing at times so I have to go over my notes a couple more times and add a few things. Redox is the other chemistry topic I am currently doing, and have homework for, which isn't so bad.

Biology cells test is coming up and a progress test for chemistry sometime soon... I have also joined the art club at school and started yoga lessons :thumbsup:

BYEEEE

rm.25

Submit reply
Updated: November 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.