Turn on thread page Beta

rm.25's attempt at A Levels A*AA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    I'm not entirely sure what they're like compared to a - levels , they are the qualifications that we need to get into uni also sometimes with advanced highers which is basically first year uni work. It says on the UCAS tarrif they are equivalent to AS-Levels
    Oh thats calm then. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Oh thats calm then. Good luck
    Thanks, you too! Have you got a GYG blog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    Thanks, you too! Have you got a GYG blog?
    naah thats long and im lazy lol. do you have one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    naah thats long and im lazy lol. do you have one?
    Aha, yeah heres mine if you wanna check it out - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Back to Basics
    Update 02/11/17

HEY

Biology test tomorrow and I know nothing lets goooooooo

Biology
    We have been looking at biological molecules and have covered:
    • Proteins
    • Lipids
    • Inorganic Ions
    • Carbohydrates
    • Water

It doesn't seem like a long topic but if you look at the subtopics...
    I have covered pretty much everything and have been doing past paper questions but it's not sticking in my mind, basically because I haven't really found the topic that interesting. But nevertheless one must stay focused and concentrate on the structure of a monosaccharide (help). The main way that I revise is watching videos, reading/making notes and making mindmaps to make sure I understand and learn the information before applying it with past papers.

Back to Basics
    After getting back my chemistry test, I realised that I got some of the most basic questions wrong like balancing equations and writing formulae. So I dug out my CGP guide from GCSE and started all over again. Its a key skill needed for chemistry and my teacher reinforced the fact that if we don't know it, we would really struggle throughout A Level Chemistry. I also found out that a lot of people in my chemistry class got similar marks to me which kind of put my mind at a slight ease. I thought that I was at the bottom of the class, honestly.

Anyway, must do biology revision

BYEEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Results and Reflections
    Update 09/11/17

HEY

Results
    Ok so result from the biological molecules test = 63% which is better than mosts tests I have done so far but ngl really thought I had this one in the bag and at least got 70%. Wellllll... I tripped up on the longer questions here and realised that my structure needs to be improved, hopefully that will make my writing flow more and lead to more marks next time So task for the next coming weeks is to do a few longer questions on biological molecules and get used to A Level questions and marking.

Reflections
    In maths we have just some finished graph work on translations, reflections, stretches, quartic graphs and all that jazzzz. Next step is to do some revision on this chapter and also to complete my homework on graph reflections. The topic hasn't been too difficult because we covered most of it in GCSE but now I have to go through some past papers to really make sure I know what I'm doing.

In other news, my evening routine has partially worked so far! There's been a couple of days where the bus home has been delayed and then I don't really stick to the schedule but yeaaa

Tasks for today and tomorrow:
    • Biology practical write up
    • Maths graph homework
    • Chemistry intermolecular bonding homework
    • Biology enzyme reading

BYEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Statistics and Shapes of Molecules
    Update 18/11/17

HEY

Late post This week has been busyyy: 2 PAGs (which were really confusing), lots of homework, volunteering application deadline, new extra-curricular clubs etc etc

Statistics
    My maths teacher introduced the dreaded statistics topic this week I can already tell this will my weakest point in maths. We have covered stratified sampling, systematic sampling, simple random sampling and the advantages/disadvantages of each. So far its not so bad but after having looked further ahead into the textbook... I have two maths teachers so with one we will be carrying on with pure maths and the other is teaching stats. The homework set for stats has been ok and pretty straight forward lately but I'm sure that won't last long Whilst this has been going on, I have been going over all of my notes from the start of term as there are rumours of a big test before xmas holidays start on EVERYTHING we've done over the past months. :unimpressed:

Shapes of Molecules
    Chemistry has actually been quite fun recently. We made shapes of molecules from balloons and marshmallows last week :grin: Tetrahedral, octahedral, linear, bent, trigonal and all that jazz. But we also learnt about intermolecular bonding which was a little confusing at times so I have to go over my notes a couple more times and add a few things. Redox is the other chemistry topic I am currently doing, and have homework for, which isn't so bad.

Biology cells test is coming up and a progress test for chemistry sometime soon... I have also joined the art club at school and started yoga lessons :thumbsup:

BYEEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Willpower and Work Experience
    Update 02/12/17

HEY

Yet another busy fortnight has flown past and its already December
    What I have been doing: birthday celebrations ayy :bigsmile:, chemistry revision, biology revision, getting my head round binomial expression, cramming, doing homwork etc etc.......

Willpower
    Aghh lately things has been going wrong; I've applied for several leadership roles and have been rejected for all of them, my test scores are not improving and I failed my practical in biology. Not exactly sticking to my evening routine either . If only you could buy willpower off the shelf... I'm determined to not let these things get to me and carry on but its been quite difficult, so my quote of the month is 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again!!!!'
    I think the next steps are to find out other ways of revising for tests and methods people in my class are using for revision. What methods do you use when revising???

Work Experience
    At school we had an assembly about Work Experience for next year. We don't get a week off to complete it, it has to be in our half term holidays which is fair enough. I'm thinking about finding a maxfax to shadow and then another week shadowing a dentist. I have so far done a week with an orthodontist and had over a month working in a dental practice whilst shadowing as well. I am yet to find a volunteering placement in a care home too but if that doesn't happen I think I will volunteer in a local charity shop

Another thing, I got a bronze certificate in the UKMT senior challenge wooooooo (just about tho, 2 marks above the boundary )

Things to do:
    • Revise for chem test on halogens and redox
    • Maths binomial expression homework
    • Biology exam questions homework
    • Statistics homework

BYEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)

What's going on now?
    So I'm now studying OCR A Biology, OCR A Chemistry and Edexcel Maths for A Level! They are all linear courses so at the end of Year 12 I have internal exams only, external exams at the end of Year 13 :eek: I was taking EPQ but after a few lessons I decided to drop it because I want to focus more on my three main subjects.

I do Edexcel Maths and there is an AS after Year 12 so you could ask to be entered into that if you wanted to, because it doesn't count towards your final A-Level. So if you wanted to, you could use that as a benchmark.

I'm not so sure about Bio and Chem though coz I don't do Bio and I do AQA chem.

ReputationRep:
    Snow Day and Staying In
    Update 11/12/17

HEY

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW :grin:

Snow Day
    So like may other schools around the UK, mine is closed today due to the weather WOOOOO!! But that doesn't mean the work stops ohhh no, I have had emails from my teachers about the work we were supposed to be covering today so we are not behind schedule when we go back to school Ikr sounds a bit extra its just one lesson but when it comes to A-Level, ya need all the time you can get...
    Who else had a day off school??

Staying In
    YAS staying in to do this work and also the work that I need to catch up on (have been needing to for the past month). We just had a 'reading week' at school which is a week where you catch up on all your work (although you're already meant to be up to date) or you do more extra reading for your subjects and 'stretch yourself'. So of course I was mainly catching up on my work and I did a little bit of extra reading over the weekend

I also need to start planning what revision I'm going to be doing over xmas holidays. I don't think I'll be making a timetable, more of a long list of things and allocating these things to different days over the weeks. I am definitely giving myself Christmas eve, Christmas day, NY eve and NY day OFF. It might be the perfect opportunity to get LOADSSSS done but ya still need a break.
    How many hours of work are you doing each day over Christmas??

Things to do today:
    • Finish stats exercise from last lesson
    • Finish Sine rule exercise from maths lesson
    • Finish Cosine rule exercise from maths lesson
    • Finish Biology notes

BYEEEEEEE

rm.25

p.s. let me know, should I start tagging people??

ReputationRep:
    New Year and New Vibes
    Update: 03/01/18

HEY

HAPPY NEW YEARRRRR

New Year
    And same me Spent NYE with food and family which is what I do every year lol. New Years day was spent decorating for a 'new start' :curious: and also watching Spectre for the 10th time.

New Vibes
    Positive, studying vibes. I'm going to try and change my studying habits, I am determined Remember the routine I made and was going to stick to? Yahhh didn't work:facepalm:Probably because it was too much of a change to what I'm used to, I should have introduced it gradually instead of all at once
    So I've decided to take little steps first.

I have a maths test when I get back to school next week which is covering all the topics and chapters we have learnt so far That includes:
    • Algebraic Expressions
    • Circles
    • Straight Line Graphs
    • Binomial Expansion
    • Algebraic Methods
    • Quadratics
    • Equations and Inequalities
    • Graphs and Transformations

I have one week left, lets do thisss

To do this week:
    • Maths revision
    • Nucleic acid notes
    • Go over chemistry notes from last term
    • Go over cell membrane notes

BYEEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Half-term and Healthy Stuff
    Update 07/02/17

HEY

One month later oops...
    What's happened in the last 30+ days? I had my maths test and moved up to and A/B YAS! I did the biology and chemistry olympiad and am yet to find out my results. Improved by 5% in my last biology test which is better than nothing. Parents evening wasn't actually too bad. My report was pretty decent too.

Half-term
    Only 2 more days to go until half-term YAYAYAY!!!! But that also means a week of work experience for me, 9am-4pm on Mon-Fri ... Other than this I also have quite a lot of work already to do/finish. When I get back to school, I have a stats test and an enthalpy test for chemistry. I also want to start revising for my end of year exams in June, which is a while away but I want to be as prepared as possible because these results will be the main deciding factor for our UCAS predicted grades. Pretty much forgotten everything I learnt last term so I better start ASAP. Of course I have homework as well, notes to make and extracurricular things to get done. All together:
    • House Captain application and speech
    • Plant hormones notes
    • Stats revision
    • Enthalpy revision
    • Maths trig exercise x2
    • School magazine article
    • Chemistry enthalpy worksheet
    • Biology exam questions
    • Biology practical write up x2
    • Attempt to finish DofE art project
    • Start revising for end of years

And more lol

Healthy Stuff
    I almost always skip breakfast which is meant to be the most important meal of the day and often don't eat lunch either. So this habit needs to change and I have been trying to wake up earlier to fit in time to eat breakfast and make lunch to take to school. A lot of people have suggested making overnight oats... I will update on how this goes

What's the probability that I will finish everything on that list and more?

BYEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Early Predicted Grades and Easter Plans
    Update 19/03/18

HEY

Lol one month later, whatttttt

Early Predicted Grades
    So far, Maths: B, Biology: B, and Chemistry A/B. Not what I wanted but honestly, kind of expected them to be like that. My teachers have all been saying 'don't worry, they mean nothing, it's still really early on in the course' but really it's a wake up call.

Easter Plans
    So my Easter holiday start in one week and I'm going to start my main revision for end of year exams. I've been revising lightly but now it's time to really focus. I have around 3 months before the exams start so I'm hoping to get everything done in that time. I'm going to plan out what I need to do for each day for the holidays. Our end of years are used as the main piece of evidence when giving out our official UCAS predicted grades and given where I am now, lots of work is needed if I'm hoping for A*AA. I'd say my weakest subject right now is maths, statistics drains the life out of me omd I'm going to ask for extra practice questions from the maths department because tbh, the questions we've been getting in our topic tests have been nothing like the questions in the textbook (so much harder). I also have work experience in the first week of the holidays.

Today's To-do list:
    • Easter Plan
    • Differentiating Exercise
    • Chemistry Practical Write-up
    • Hypothesis Testing Exercise

BYEEEEEE

rm.25

ReputationRep:
    Plan for today:
    Saturday 24/03/18
    • Go over chapter 1 of pure maths (algebraic expressions)
    • Revise Ionisation Energies
    • Revise Carbohydrates and Water
    • DofE skill section stuff

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2018
    18/07/18

Let's goooo

I know a lot of people have finished their exams, myself included, but I still have so much to do over the summer including consolidation of my subjects and UKCAT things. We had internal exams in June and my results were definitely not what I was hoping for. After speaking to teachers about predicted grades and UCAS stuff, I think the best option is to keep revising lightly over the summer alongside UKCAT practice. So I'm going to use my GYG blog to help me again!! I'm planning to go over all of the content from Y12 so I have a really good base for the start of Y13 and won't risk forgetting everything form the past year.

I'm studying/revising for my UKCAT too which is booked for the 21st of August. Quantitative reasoning is the section I find most difficult at the moment

Things I did today :
    • Cell Structure revision
    • Partial Fractions revision
    • Situational Judgement practice

I've got a lil bit of chem stuff to go over now...

rm.25

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.