Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can i do art at university with no art a level

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the UNI’s but the higher up unis will defo want to see a art portfolio and a-level
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 5grhfe)
    Can i do art at university with no art a level
    Yes. But you’ll need to produce a portfolio in your free time. You’ll be competing for offers against people with A level art and those with A level art and an art foundation diploma.

You may well be advised to take an art foundation diploma.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Yup agree with everyone above me, it's best to check particular courses as some may require an art a level and if they don't you will 100% be competing against people who do. Keep up a portfolio and find ways to extend your art learning, maybe start a blog or a youtube, something to gain an edge and it will motivate you to keep up a portfolio while doing your other subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above - generally no, but not because it's an absolute requirement but because it's unlikely you'll have a suitable portfolio to apply (even then, many with A-level Art & Design/Fine Art don't have suitable portfolios and hence pursue an art foundation year).

I would suggest looking into Art Foundation Year courses - these are common "implicit" prerequisites to studying an art/design subject at uni, because while not required they allow you to develop a very strong portfolio in most cases, fully satisfying that requirement of unis. They are also useful in allowing you to explore areas of art/design that you probably wouldn't have had a chance to in 6th form, A-level Art or not. Many will require some portfolio on application, but the expectations are a lot lower than for degrees, particularly in terms of technical skill.

But anyway, in short - it's very unlikely you could successfully apply without some formal design training, as in A-level or a Foundation, simply due to not having a suitably broad and deep portfolio. But there are ways to develop this, the Foundation being the best option if you're under 19, and reasonable for under 24s (where there seems to be some variance, but I believe you can get a significant amount of the fees covered in that realm)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    As above - generally no, but not because it's an absolute requirement but because it's unlikely you'll have a suitable portfolio to apply (even then, many with A-level Art & Design/Fine Art don't have suitable portfolios and hence pursue an art foundation year).

I would suggest looking into Art Foundation Year courses - these are common "implicit" prerequisites to studying an art/design subject at uni, because while not required they allow you to develop a very strong portfolio in most cases, fully satisfying that requirement of unis. They are also useful in allowing you to explore areas of art/design that you probably wouldn't have had a chance to in 6th form, A-level Art or not. Many will require some portfolio on application, but the expectations are a lot lower than for degrees, particularly in terms of technical skill.

But anyway, in short - it's very unlikely you could successfully apply without some formal design training, as in A-level or a Foundation, simply due to not having a suitably broad and deep portfolio. But there are ways to develop this, the Foundation being the best option if you're under 19, and reasonable for under 24s (where there seems to be some variance, but I believe you can get a significant amount of the fees covered in that realm)
    Anyone 19 or over can now get an Advanced Learning Loan to pay the fees of a FAD (although it isn’t wiped off when you graduate like the ALL is for Access courses).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PQ)
    Anyone 19 or over can now get an Advanced Learning Loan to pay the fees of a FAD (although it isn’t wiped off when you graduate like the ALL is for Access courses).
    PRSOM Thanks for the info!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.