Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don’t know what I want to be when I’m older Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m a 16 year old student who dreams on being a biologist or a Car designer. I’m leaning more to becoming a car designer but since it’s such a competitive job, I doubt I’ll become one. I don’t even know what courses to take when I’m in university if I want to become a car designer. I love biology but I’m not sure if Its the job for me. It’s basically the fact that I’m not the best at biology. I get A’s and B’s but I still don’t feel like I’m good enough to be a biologist. Other than those two jobs, I have no idea what to do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a car designer, you could take an engineering course? Do some research on the interwebs- they'll be able offer a better tailor fit than I can (especially 'cause I know ALL about cars)
    Look at the course specifications, they can tell you a lot about the course and what they cover. Also, look around places that are known for their car industry- they might have some opportunities for work experience.

Hope I could help

ReputationRep:
    I feel like you should go for the career which you will enjoy the most and which you feel you are best at. Even if you do go for one and that doesn't turn out the way you would have expected, you are still able to change your career later on in life

ReputationRep:
    Try to look at all of the possible subjects and see what intrigues you, if you are unsure between the two, you can always do two degrees. As for being a car designer, if you have the drive and the passion you could take engineering at a university, the better the uni and your grade at the end the higher the chance of you becoming successful. You could also look at apprenticeships and work your way up, talk to unis and do lots of research, you could also talk to current car designers or biologists to get an idea of what it is really like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleperson)
    Try to look at all of the possible subjects and see what intrigues you, if you are unsure between the two, you can always do two degrees. As for being a car designer, if you have the drive and the passion you could take engineering at a university, the better the uni and your grade at the end the higher the chance of you becoming successful. You could also look at apprenticeships and work your way up, talk to unis and do lots of research, you could also talk to current car designers or biologists to get an idea of what it is really like.
    That isn't an option for 99% of people as you would need (atm) about £50k to do the second degree. A masters in the other would not be possible due to the vast difference in content of each degree

OP - Read about each career and look at the paths to get to each one, try find some day in the life blogs about each and go for which one you think you will enjoy more after that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm 25 and still don't know what I want to "be". So...don't worry about it too much. Also when I was in 6th form I changed my proposed course of study about 8 times in a year anyway, so yea. Not uncommon or an issue, necessarily. The only advice I'd give is if you're still unsure when it comes to apply, take a gap year and work or something productive (i.e. don't sit on a beach the whole time) and take the time to reflect on your options and interests. Take it from me, applying to something you're not wholly invested in tends to backfire...

Beyond that, automotive engineering is a fairly active field, and you'd probably want to study that or mechanical engineering (which is more general, and just as useful for that specific sector) at uni, thus need to do Maths, Physics, and ideally Further Maths and/or Chemistry. For Biosciences, you'd normally need Chemistry and almost always Biology, depending on field (some Pharmacology or Biochemistry courses only require chemistry specifically, as do some medicine courses - and it's possible to study medicine but work in academic research rather than becoming a clinician, although doing so would be exceedingly rare).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.