The Student Room Group

How harshly do they mark first year assignments/reports/essays?

It’s my first report, just wanted to know how harshly they will mark it.
It depends, some unis have a bit of leniency, some don't...
It could be the person marking it is just a harsh marker in general and won't be that lenient or they could be super nice and try and get you as many marks as they can
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
It depends, some unis have a bit of leniency, some don't...
It could be the person marking it is just a harsh marker in general and won't be that lenient or they could be super nice and try and get you as many marks as they can

That’s true, I’m at Coventry University if it helps.
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Well, it won't be as harsh as your second and third year, but that doesn't mean it will just be a breeze. It may also depend on your tutor, if you have somebody who is just a strict person, then they will not be so lenient, however, if your tutor is a little laxer and understanding then they may give you some leeway. However, it is university, they aren't going to just have no care when marking and it will be very stringent.
Try to make your work as good as you can instead of focusing on how they will mark it
TBH the marking on your first few pieces of work quite often feels over harsh when you're on the receiving end, the point is that you read the feedback and correct the things that were missing or incorrect about the first assignments by the time you get to the end of the first year.
Reply 6
Original post by Avaia
Well, it won't be as harsh as your second and third year, but that doesn't mean it will just be a breeze. It may also depend on your tutor, if you have somebody who is just a strict person, then they will not be so lenient, however, if your tutor is a little laxer and understanding then they may give you some leeway. However, it is university, they aren't going to just have no care when marking and it will be very stringent.
Try to make your work as good as you can instead of focusing on how they will mark it

My seminar tutor is okay, so is PC. We’re not told who’s marking it.

I’ve done my best, made presentation clear and used proper sources of information. Just very worried as it’s my first assignment :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
TBH the marking on your first few pieces of work quite often feels over harsh when you're on the receiving end, the point is that you read the feedback and correct the things that were missing or incorrect about the first assignments by the time you get to the end of the first year.

That’s true I guess, it’s my first assignment so I’m worried. I’ve tried my best so there’s not much I can do :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
That’s true I guess, it’s my first assignment so I’m worried. I’ve tried my best so there’s not much I can do :frown:

Well fingers crossed - but if it does come back covered in red ink it's not cos they're trying to tell you that you're crap and will never succeed, the purpose is to help you do better next time and show you where you need to focus on improving.
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
Well fingers crossed - but if it does come back covered in red ink it's not cos they're trying to tell you that you're crap and will never succeed, the purpose is to help you do better next time and show you where you need to focus on improving.

That’s true, the marks will be online! One assignment has gone well (teacher looked at my draft) and this one I’m a little worried about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending