Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to my Grow Your Grades blog "coffee and classics".

I believe the first part of the title is fairly obvious. I'm an exhausted student in the last year of my GCSEs who relies 30% on sleep and 70% on coffee as my source of energy. The second part of my title comes from my interest in classics - both the literary kind and the ancient history kind. I do not profess to be any kind of expert on these fields, as I still have lots to learn, and this blog will be used to document any new discoveries or interests of mine.

However, I also want to use this blog as a place to write about my GCSE experience in Year 11, as well as to share resources with other GCSE students.

I really would like the top grades that I can possibly achieve on results day. Here are the grades I was given in my last grade card, which came out about a week ago:
    Spoiler:
    Show

IGCSE Mathmatics: 7/8
    IGCSE English Literature: 8/9
    IGCSE English Language: 8/9
    GCSE Biology: 8
    GCSE Chemistry: 8
    GCSE Physics: 8
    IGCSE Spanish: A
    GCSE History: 8/9
    GCSE Art & Design: 6/7

I'm pretty happy with these grades, as they are only a starting point and are a good place to start on.

These GCSEs are really important to me, as I aspire to study Classics at the University of Cambridge.

I think I've spoken enough about grades now - I'm getting stressed just writing about them! I'm already stressed enough, as I have about 81 days to my mocks and 180 days to my first GCSE exam (it's not like I'm counting down or anything...).

Anyway, here are a few things about me:

about me:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • I have two rescue cats. They are Siamese and they are very cute. They both have lots of hilarious idiosyncrasies.
    • I love music. I have no favourite genre, but I generally like random indie stuff I find on Spotify. However, my favourite band is Panic! at the Disco.
    • My favourite books are 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury, 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt and the entire Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater.
    • Whilst I drink a lot of coffee, my favourite beverage is tea, specifically Choco and Rooibos tea.
    • My favourite colour is yellow in a sort of ochre/mustard shade - yellow is the happiest colour!

interests:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • reading
    • drawing
    • etymology
    • history
    • reading random Wikipedia pages on the monarchs of England and sometimes Europe when I'm procrastinating

I hope you will enjoy my blog! I know this first post has been focused on myself, as it is an introduction, but I plan to start sharing study tips and resources on here.

- elizabeth x

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Best of luck!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    update!
    Today has been a pretty productive day. I was able to make flashcards on Physics Chapters 2 and 3, Biology Chapter 3 and Chemistry Chapter 2 (in accordance with the AQA Oxford Textbooks). I made these whilst using the specifications:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...63-SP-2016.PDF
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...62-SP-2016.PDF
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...61-SP-2016.PDF
    I also used the fantastic videos on the channel freesciencelessons:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbOeHaAUXw9Il7sBVG3_bw/playlists
    This guy is amazing! All his videos are so helpful.
    I use the app Todoist to record all the tasks I plan to accomplish in a day. I like the fact that it gives you Karma points for completing tasks, as it provides that extra bit of motivation.
    To end the day I need to work on completing my artist page and interpretation for my Year 11 sketchbook, and then read Chapter 4 of Of Mice and Men. This is my second time reading it. Unfortunately, I REALLY dislike it, despite the fact that I love English Literature, so I've been postponing re-reading it for a while now. It's a good book to analyse, however.
    Until next time,
    - elizabeth x

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait to see more updates! And classics - any specific reason why you love 'em? x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.