Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey 😭 Could someone explain to me the diiference between acids/bases and conjugate acids / bases ? Its so confusing to me .
    It would help me so much😝 Thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadilla)
    Hey 😭 Could someone explain to me the diiference between acids/bases and conjugate acids / bases ? Its so confusing to me .
    It would help me so much😝 Thank you
    one hydrogen ion ...

ReputationRep:
    What i was trying to ask was ,😂😭 sorry i didnt make myself clear . why is it that the conjugate base has lost a proton but acids are said to be proton donors and a conjugate acid has gained a proton when bases grab protons ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadilla)
    What i was trying to ask was ,😂😭 sorry i didnt make myself clear . why is it that the conjugate base has lost a proton but acids are said to be proton donors and a conjugate acid has gained a proton when bases grab protons ?
    So when an acid loses a proton, it becomes its conjugate base.

Eg say we have the acid HA, where A is some singly-charged anion. The acid can dissociate as (in equilibrium):

HA + H2O---> A- + H3O+

The A- anion is the conjugate base of the acid HA. It can accept a proton to regenerate the acid.

The converse is true for bases.

In the example above, water acts as a base by accepting a proton, and thus forms the hydronium cation, H3O+. This is the conjugate acid of water, which can then lose its proton to regenerate the water again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    So when an acid loses a proton, it becomes its conjugate base.

Eg say we have the acid HA, where A is some singly-charged anion. The acid can dissociate as (in equilibrium):

HA + H2O---> A- + H3O+

The A- anion is the conjugate base of the acid HA. It can accept a proton to regenerate the acid.

The converse is true for bases.

In the example above, water acts as a base by accepting a proton, and thus forms the hydronium cation, H3O+. This is the conjugate acid of water, which can then lose its proton to regenerate the water again.

Thank you so much 😝😉u explained it so well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.