Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey 😭 Could someone explain to me the diiference between acids/bases and conjugate acids / bases ? Its so confusing to me .
    It would help me so much😝 Thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sadilla)
    Hey 😭 Could someone explain to me the diiference between acids/bases and conjugate acids / bases ? Its so confusing to me .
    It would help me so much😝 Thank you
    one hydrogen ion ...

ReputationRep:
    What i was trying to ask was ,😂😭 sorry i didnt make myself clear . why is it that the conjugate base has lost a proton but acids are said to be proton donors and a conjugate acid has gained a proton when bases grab protons ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadilla)
    What i was trying to ask was ,😂😭 sorry i didnt make myself clear . why is it that the conjugate base has lost a proton but acids are said to be proton donors and a conjugate acid has gained a proton when bases grab protons ?
    So when an acid loses a proton, it becomes its conjugate base.

Eg say we have the acid HA, where A is some singly-charged anion. The acid can dissociate as (in equilibrium):

HA + H2O---> A- + H3O+

The A- anion is the conjugate base of the acid HA. It can accept a proton to regenerate the acid.

The converse is true for bases.

In the example above, water acts as a base by accepting a proton, and thus forms the hydronium cation, H3O+. This is the conjugate acid of water, which can then lose its proton to regenerate the water again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    So when an acid loses a proton, it becomes its conjugate base.

Eg say we have the acid HA, where A is some singly-charged anion. The acid can dissociate as (in equilibrium):

HA + H2O---> A- + H3O+

The A- anion is the conjugate base of the acid HA. It can accept a proton to regenerate the acid.

The converse is true for bases.

In the example above, water acts as a base by accepting a proton, and thus forms the hydronium cation, H3O+. This is the conjugate acid of water, which can then lose its proton to regenerate the water again.

Thank you so much 😝😉u explained it so well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2017

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.