Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £24k salary worth dropping out of school?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avamaeh)
    2. As I'd still be doing A levels full time, it wouldn't technically count as a salary and rather more like maintenence money. So no I wouldn't legally need to pay tax
    What? Of course you would.

Don't do it. It's very poor value for money and will only make things more difficult for you later down the line.

You will struggle to do well in A-levels whilst being a full time/live-in carer. The clue is in the name.

You'd need to do some shady dealing to be receiving £24k a year cash without being noticed as well.

There is absolutely no progression in a full time carer role. What you get now is what you'll get in 10 years time. If you pick sensibly, uni will open doors to you that start at £20k but goes up very quickly.

To be honest, your family member has been a bit cruel dangling this carrot in front of you at 16. It's a big choice to make and a younger person is likely to just see money signs and jump for it.

Thinking you don't need to pay tax because you're still in school kinda proves you're not making an informed decision here. I hope you take people's answers on board.

ReputationRep:
      Just don't do it.

ReputationRep:
      When I read the title I thought to myself not if you believe in yourself and when you said live in carer I thought absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
      It's not worth risking you're future
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Carer jobs are generally difficult, long hours and live in caring is even worse. They pay you well because no-one likes to do that job.

I'm studying the Open University, so you can ask me any questions about it if you like. I also work as a carer. :lol: You can do a degree with the OU with no GCSEs and no A levels.

My advice would be to stay in school.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.