Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I really don’t know what to do, I like my course and I have made a few friends on it, but apart from that I don’t really have anyone else I can say I am friends with. I live in halls with another girl and two boys, the boys are ok but I don’t click with the girl at all, she’s controlling and manipulative and so none of us really like her. They’ve all got friends they know from before university living at the same place, so they all go out with them and we don’t go out as a flat or really even see one another that often unless we are in the kitchen at the same time or something. I really don’t know what to do, I would move out but I can’t do this as I would still have to pay rent till my tenancy ends, which is annoying. I thought about asking for a room swap but don’t want to take the risk of new flatmates being worse than the ones I have already.
    Does anyone have any advice? I am going to go along to netball social sport with my course mate after reading week, so hopefully I can make some more friends through that, I’m just wondering how to branch out and make friends although I don’t “click” with my flat mates. As I said, all I have are a few people I am friends with on my course. I go home at weekends to work as I need the money, home is quite close and I wouldn’t have any plans if I stayed here anyway, I think I’d just stay in my room and get depressed. I am a sociable and friendly person, I get along with most people but can’t find anyone that is like me, the majority seem childish and immature or a bit strange if I am being completely honest. I just wanna meet some new people but approaching people i see around my accommodation or knocking on others flats seems a bit weird and desperate at this stage when we’re all supposed to have settled in. I feel so lonely and isolated living with people I don’t particularly like/get on with

Thank you I appreciate any advice x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princxss-diaries)
    Hi,

So I really don’t know what to do, I like my course and I have made a few friends on it, but apart from that I don’t really have anyone else I can say I am friends with. I live in halls with another girl and two boys, the boys are ok but I don’t click with the girl at all, she’s controlling and manipulative and so none of us really like her. They’ve all got friends they know from before university living at the same place, so they all go out with them and we don’t go out as a flat or really even see one another that often unless we are in the kitchen at the same time or something. I really don’t know what to do, I would move out but I can’t do this as I would still have to pay rent till my tenancy ends, which is annoying. I thought about asking for a room swap but don’t want to take the risk of new flatmates being worse than the ones I have already.
    Does anyone have any advice? I am going to go along to netball social sport with my course mate after reading week, so hopefully I can make some more friends through that, I’m just wondering how to branch out and make friends although I don’t “click” with my flat mates. As I said, all I have are a few people I am friends with on my course. I go home at weekends to work as I need the money, home is quite close and I wouldn’t have any plans if I stayed here anyway, I think I’d just stay in my room and get depressed. I am a sociable and friendly person, I get along with most people but can’t find anyone that is like me, the majority seem childish and immature or a bit strange if I am being completely honest. I just wanna meet some new people but approaching people i see around my accommodation or knocking on others flats seems a bit weird and desperate at this stage when we’re all supposed to have settled in. I feel so lonely and isolated living with people I don’t particularly like/get on with

If that's the only problem you could try to make friends elsewhere as you've suggested; it may take time though.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps join some new societies like you’ve suggested, there will be people around that you click with and usually it happens in places and at times you wouldn’t expect
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    which uni?

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel restricted to making friends with your flatmates. You could introduce yourself to other people in the block (I don't think it is too late at this stage, or desperate), or if they do halls socials you could attend and make friends with people from other blocks. That was the case for me, as my flatmates didn't really gel together as friends (kept ourselves to ourselves). I made good friends with people from other blocks, which was great as when I first started, I was worried I would be alone.

You said that you have made friends on the course already, also looking at societies is a good idea! A few girls that I met through societies became my housemates for the next two years of my degree, and we still keep in touch now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    which uni?
    Sheffield Hallam x
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princxss-diaries)
    Hi,

Hey princxss-diaries

Sorry to hear that I was in exactly your position when I first moved to uni so understand how you're feeling. I'm glad that you've got the right attitude about this though - joining a society or two is a great idea as you're more likely to find people with similar interests to you and you'll have more to bond over. You might even end up meeting friends of friends in the society which is also another great way to meet people. What course are you studying? My course was really small and I didn't click with anyone until much later on, and I didn't gel with my flatmates either. About 3 weeks in I joined a society and met some of my best friends - we're still close now even though I finished uni 2.5 years ago! I also started working as a student ambassador for the university and actually met a girl who lived in my halls and she introduced me to her flatmates who I ended up living with in second year.

It can sometimes take a bit of time and effort to find people you click with but keep working at it and trying different things - you'll get there!

Hannah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.