Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help - 3rd time applying for student finance due to changing unis Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so long story short I went to a uni in London to do Business. I left early (mid October) to then go on a gap year to apply to do game design in stoke. The game design course was a 4 year long degree including an initial foundation year. I was overwhelmed by the amount of students having already known a lot of the software being used despite it being a 'foundation year'.. basically i panicked and decided to switch courses. I changed to business foundation 4 weeks in. I'm now on the foundation year of business (at the same uni i was doing game design.. i didn't switch unis im still at stoke). But i want to do game design i just really need time on my own to get a grip of the software and learn the basics etc myself to then join a course. I naively went in thinking everyone else would be starting from scratch... i know i can reach the level they went in if i just had a summer to learn the stuff.

I'm an idiot and a screw up... I bailed too soon and also didn't prepare for the course enough. I do partly blame some of the mental health issues I've been dealing with but a lot of students it seems these days have the same issues so i can't really use it as a scapegoat. I've never heard of anyone else being this indecisive.

The dilemma...
    I don't know whether i should finish my business foundation year and during this year apply to a foundation degree (which is just a 2 year course with an option of then getting a top up year) in games design at Nottingham trent.

Here is the thing...will student finance fund me?
    After leaving my course in London i had to still pay 25% of the 9k year loan. BUT they still funded me for the 4 year game design course at stoke. I've heard you get 3 years and a gift year. The business foundation year costs 5.5k... add the 25% of the one i left and its just under 9k. So surely they would fund me for a 2 year foundation degree after either completing my business foundation year? I will have only used up just under a year of student finance. Another option would be for me to leave this uni as well (pay the smaller amount of 9k)... but then have 2 different drop outs on my record... will employees see that? Would Nottingham Trent care?

Am i better off finishing my foundation year in business and then applying to the foundation degree at Nottingham? That way i won't have really ''dropped out'' I will have simply done a foundation year and switched courses... not everyone goes from a foundation year onto X 3 year degree course.

Sorry if that was complicated... i know I'm a massive idiot. But if anyone could help me i would be very grateful. The idea of having a 9-5 job in an office depresses the hell out of me and its only from moving onto the business course that i've realized why i left the first one... with a summer or half a year to learn the stuff before going onto the course would allow me to settle in nicely and not be behind.

EDIT: the course im looking to do was in clearing this academic year (Still has the notice on the site... so im guessing there isn't loads of people wanting to get on it. And it being a foundation degree the requirements are low.
    I am also 21 so im a mature student... not sure if that increases my chance getting onto foundation courses or not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James385)
    Ok so long story short I went to a uni in London to do Business. I left early (mid October) to then go on a gap year to apply to do game design in stoke. The game design course was a 4 year long degree including an initial foundation year. I was overwhelmed by the amount of students having already known a lot of the software being used despite it being a 'foundation year'.. basically i panicked and decided to switch courses. I changed to business foundation 4 weeks in. I'm now on the foundation year of business (at the same uni i was doing game design.. i didn't switch unis im still at stoke). But i want to do game design i just really need time on my own to get a grip of the software and learn the basics etc myself to then join a course. I naively went in thinking everyone else would be starting from scratch... i know i can reach the level they went in if i just had a summer to learn the stuff.

I'm an idiot and a screw up... I bailed too soon and also didn't prepare for the course enough. I do partly blame some of the mental health issues I've been dealing with but a lot of students it seems these days have the same issues so i can't really use it as a scapegoat. I've never heard of anyone else being this indecisive.

The dilemma...
    I don't know whether i should finish my business foundation year and during this year apply to a foundation degree (which is just a 2 year course with an option of then getting a top up year) in games design at Nottingham trent.

Here is the thing...will student finance fund me?
    After leaving my course in London i had to still pay 25% of the 9k year loan. BUT they still funded me for the 4 year game design course at stoke. I've heard you get 3 years and a gift year. The business foundation year costs 5.5k... add the 25% of the one i left and its just under 9k. So surely they would fund me for a 2 year foundation degree after either completing my business foundation year? I will have only used up just under a year of student finance. Another option would be for me to leave this uni as well (pay the smaller amount of 9k)... but then have 2 different drop outs on my record... will employees see that? Would Nottingham Trent care?

Am i better off finishing my foundation year in business and then applying to the foundation degree at Nottingham? That way i won't have really ''dropped out'' I will have simply done a foundation year and switched courses... not everyone goes from a foundation year onto X 3 year degree course.

Sorry if that was complicated... i know I'm a massive idiot. But if anyone could help me i would be very grateful. The idea of having a 9-5 job in an office depresses the hell out of me and its only from moving onto the business course that i've realized why i left the first one... with a summer or half a year to learn the stuff before going onto the course would allow me to settle in nicely and not be behind.

EDIT: the course im looking to do was in clearing this academic year (Still has the notice on the site... so im guessing there isn't loads of people wanting to get on it. And it being a foundation degree the requirements are low.
    I am also 21 so im a mature student... not sure if that increases my chance getting onto foundation courses or not.
    You've used 2 years off student finance so far. It doesn't matter if you drop out part way through the year, it still counts as a whole year of finance.

Your entitlement to finance is new course length + 1 - previous years.
    If you took a foundation degree that would be 2+1-2,
    For a 3 year degree it would be 3+1-2, so you'd only get funding for the last year of the degree.
    So you'll be one year short of funding for any future options if you decided not to continue. they work backwards, so the latter years of the course would be funded, and the year that you don't have finance for is the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You've used 2 years off student finance so far. It doesn't matter if you drop out part way through the year, it still counts as a whole year of finance.

Your entitlement to finance is new course length + 1 - previous years.
    If you took a foundation degree that would be 2+1-2,
    For a 3 year degree it would be 3+1-2, so you'd only get funding for the last year of the degree.
    So you'll be one year short of funding for any future options if you decided not to continue. they work backwards, so the latter years of the course would be funded, and the year that you don't have finance for is the first year.
    Thanks for the reply. What confuses me is i used one year in London then applied for a 4 year course and they said they would fund me for ALL 4 years. Now if i do one year out of those 4... surely would they not fund me for a 2 year course? Isn't it 3 years + gift year?
    Sorry I'm just a little confused.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    As I've already said, it's new course length plus one minus previous study
    Thanks for the reply. What confuses me is i used one year in London then applied for a 4 year course and they said they would fund me for ALL 4 years. Now if i do one year out of those 4... surely would they not fund me for a 2 year course? Isn't it 3 years + gift year?
    Sorry I'm just a little confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    As I've already said, it's new course length plus one minus previous study
    Right i got you. Damn. 2 years + 1... 3 years... - 2 years I've dropped out. I would only be funded my last year.

I suppose that means with my current 4 year degree... technically they wont fund me the last year... they didn't tell me that... or going by what you said they wouldnt fund my first year... but they have?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Right i got you. Damn. 2 years + 1... 3 years... - 2 years I've dropped out. I would only be funded my last year.

I suppose that means with my current 4 year degree... technically they wont fund me the last year... they didn't tell me that... or going by what you said they wouldnt fund my first year... but they have?
    But with your current degree, you only had one year of previous study. So it was 4+1-1 which means you will be funded for all years. It's only if you drop out again that it becomes 2 years of previous study
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

No, you have dropped out once, a course change doesn't matter in terms of student finance, especially if it's in the same uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    No, you have dropped out once, a course change doesn't matter in terms of student finance, especially if it's in the same uni.
    Right so I could either finish my business foundation year and then do 3 years of business BA... or finish my business foundation year and see if i could get onto the 3 year BA game design course.

OR leave the uni/course... reapply to a 2 year degree and have to pay outright one year and then be only funded one year.

Damn, i'm sure there is a good reason as to why that is a thing, and it is ultimately my own fault for all of this. But it kind of sucks that right now i could have 4 years funded but if i leave i will only have 1 for the course i want to do. I mean my parents pay for my accommodation too... I'm not costing them much maintenance loan wise and nor did I during my last course.

If this is the case I need to either stick at this uni...
    or just leave and do an apprenticeship and go from there...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Right so I could either finish my business foundation year and then do 3 years of business BA... or finish my business foundation year and see if i could get onto the 3 year BA game design course.

OR leave the uni/course... reapply to a 2 year degree and have to pay outright one year and then be only funded one year.

Damn, i'm sure there is a good reason as to why that is a thing, and it is ultimately my own fault for all of this. But it kind of sucks that right now i could have 4 years funded but if i leave i will only have 1 for the course i want to do. I mean my parents pay for my accommodation too... I'm not costing them much maintenance loan wise and nor did I during my last course.

If this is the case I need to either stick at this uni...
    or just leave and do an apprenticeship and go from there...
    Or just change now onto a game design course at your uni, thereby not dropping out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.