The Student Room Group

I need help choosing my A-Levels...

I'm in year 11 and I know that I definitely want to take art, but I would also like to take two out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I am not certain about what I want to do in the future. Architecture, astronomy, biophysics, engineering, medicine, research and teaching all seem interesting to me. Out of the four subjects mentioned, I enjoy physics and biology the most. I would like a sensible subject combination that will not limit my future options. Is there any point taking biology without chemistry or physics without maths? What should I do??
Original post by fishbrain
I'm in year 11 and I know that I definitely want to take art, but I would also like to take two out of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I am not certain about what I want to do in the future. Architecture, astronomy, biophysics, engineering, medicine, research and teaching all seem interesting to me. Out of the four subjects mentioned, I enjoy physics and biology the most. I would like a sensible subject combination that will not limit my future options. Is there any point taking biology without chemistry or physics without maths? What should I do??

I believe physics without maths is pointless-you'll fall way behind also, same thing with biology and chemistry, theres just nothing that requires only biology. however picking maths on its own is powerful, why not pick bio,chem and maths. its possible
Do you 100% want to do Art? If you're not sure what you want to do, then it's not really keeping your options open. Art A-Level is also a lot of work, and all my friends who do it spend most of their time on it.

Biology and Chemistry go well together. Most places require Chemistry though, if you want to go and do something with Biology. Maths is also good on its own, but Physics less so. Biology, Chemistry and Maths is a good way to go, but if you really love Physics, you could always do Biology Chemistry Physics, or do it as a 4th A-Level?

Think about if you really want to do art. To keep all them options open that you listed, you’ll have to do all 4 of the science subjects. You cannot do medicine without chemistry and you cannot do astronomy without maths and physics. Maybe do art as a hobby instead?

I have a friend who took Physics with IT if it’s any help with the decision. I’d say take the two that you enjoy the most then you’ll be happy with the decision and you’ll be motivated to do well when the exams come around.
If you want to do medicine, you'll definitely need Biology and Chemistry (and Maths if you want to go to Oxbridge)
I struggled choosing between physics and maths but I was told that maths was more useful than physics. If you want to do medicine, then biology, chemistry, maths and art is a strong combination as you have a mix of academic subjects needed for medicine and a creative subject which apparently unis really like.

Medicine is real competitive so if you want to do that I recommend taking chem, bio, maths and art as the fourth . You don't need maths but due to the competitive nature it will really help you out. If you want to do architecture you need maths definitely some unis don't require maths but i'm pretty sure you have to do an extra year at uni then. For engineering you need both maths and physics.

Personally in your situation I would take maths and physics. This does have a bit bias as I am taking maths, physics and further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest