Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, in summary, I'm going from doing nothing since Year 7 to getting a very minimum of a 7 in every subject. I've managed to self motivate myself (mainly by knowing what I need to get into a good university for the course I want to do), so I'll be posting my status in doing so here.

Target grades and expected grades
    The good stuff.

Firstly, what grades I ideally want (assuming I work extremely hard for them):

English Literature: 9
    English Language: 9
    Maths: 9
    Additional Maths: A (A is the maximum)
    Combined Science: 9 and 9
    Computer Science: 9
    Systems and Control: A*
    ICT: *2 (A* equivalent)
    Geography: 8

Obviously that's going to be a big stretch, so, still assuming I work extremely hard, I'll be happy with:

English Literature: 8
    English Language: 8
    Maths: 9
    Additional Maths: B
    Combined Science: 8 and 7
    Computer Science: 9
    Systems and Control: A
    ICT: D2 (A equivalent)
    Geography: 7

For some context as to my current expected grades from the end of Year 10 mocks (which I didn't revise for that much), I think it was a 9 in Computer Science, an A in ICT and Systems, a 6 in English Literature, English Language, Maths and Chemistry and a 5 in Geography. Computer Science is easy for me, especially programming, ICT is easy for me, Geography is easy but I don't really care about it (nor do I like it anymore) and the rest I find quite challenging.

The reason I think I can get the grades I listed near the top is because, firstly, I went from a 4 to a high 6 in Maths over the course of a few months just by some motivation and seeing some meaning in school, and secondly, because I didn't put any work in at-all (and hardly any for my end of year mocks) and now I'm prepared to work very hard.

I want to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A levels (with Maths and Physics) being my favourite and most interesting subjects at the moment. I want to get a A*A*A* in those (would be happy happy with A*A*A and would settle for A*AA (with the As in Physics or Further Maths). My ultimate goal is to then do Computer Science at Cambridge, but would be happy to do Computer Science at a decent Russell Group university (preferably Manchester).

Photos

I'll update this section with photos of my study environment when I have the time.

My feelings at the moment

I'm mentally fine at the moment, with no specific problems. I'm motivated and am willing to put the effort in to get good grades. I just hope the motivation doesn't wear off, and I'm going to make sure I don't burn myself out with work.

Spreadsheets
    You can judge how much I procrastinate by seeing how fancy my spreadsheets are.

~Winter mocks revision timetable: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QY9ar0dCAb4LyI

How I'll structure this blog

I will make three sections for three major events (before our Christmas mocks, before March where I plan to gear up my independent work/revision and before my actual GCSEs). I may also update it during May/June, but that depends on how much time I have. I'll also update it if anything of importance happens.

I'll also update this with my revision techniques etc. when I get the time.

Before Christmas mocks

This is my timetable for the half term we're in now, and I'll update it when we get out of the half term and get the dates for our mocks: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QY9ar0dCAb4LyI. A number in each box represents how many hours of work I'll be doing of that subject on that day. I'm aware 64 hours is excessive, but I have nothing better to do and I need to catch up on a LOT of content since I didn't listen in class for a lot of Year 10. I plan on doing 3-4 hours a day on school days and 5-6 hours on weekends after half term.

ReputationRep:
    excited to see how this GYG progresses!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck in growing your grades! I'm also starting to prepare for Winter mocks. Currently, I'm doing 2-3 hours per day worth of revision, but I too would like to increase that to 3-4 on weekdays and 5-6 on weekends. My intention at the moment is to start off at a level which is effective yet comfortable, and slowly edging my way up

ReputationRep:
    64 hours a week- where do you get your motivation from? I'll definitely be watching this; good luck this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troubletracking)
    64 hours a week- where do you get your motivation from? I'll definitely be watching this; good luck this year!
    God knows, and thanks for the good luck! It's difficult, and I definitely won't be doing that much on normal school weeks, but I can get through so much at this rate. Though I'll likely only be doing this until my Winter Mocks, then I'll dial down to about 3 hours a day until around March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Best of luck in growing your grades! I'm also starting to prepare for Winter mocks. Currently, I'm doing 2-3 hours per day worth of revision, but I too would like to increase that to 3-4 on weekdays and 5-6 on weekends. My intention at the moment is to start off at a level which is effective yet comfortable, and slowly edging my way up
    Thanks! And good luck for your mocks too. I'm only doing so much so I can get through a lot of content, but if you listened in class (unlike me) for most of Year 10 then you should really only have to go over content and not learn it from scratch (like me :P). Slowly going into it would be helpful for sure, I only started with 6 hours a day because I thought the start of this half term would be a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    Damn dude - 64 hours!! That's pretty awesome ngl. I'm also in year 11. I do about 16 hours of revision a week and just had my mocks - got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's so you're definitely going to get all 9's if you keep it up
    Good luck!!! I'll be watching this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astravolt)
    Thanks! And good luck for your mocks too. I'm only doing so much so I can get through a lot of content, but if you listened in class (unlike me) for most of Year 10 then you should really only have to go over content and not learn it from scratch (like me :P). Slowly going into it would be helpful for sure, I only started with 6 hours a day because I thought the start of this half term would be a good starting point.
    Haha tbh, I did "listen" in class but I didn't put as much effort as I should have in at times, and I didn't retain a lot of the info like I should have.

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Check out my GYG Thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post74364880

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.