Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a 4 year business course with a foundation year. I'm adamant that i don't want to do business for another 3 years... I'm keen to do an apprenticeship instead... uni life... uni studying just isn't my thing. Is there much point in finishing my foundation year (not the same as a foundation degree) in terms of it looking good for employers?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by James385)
    I'm doing a 4 year business course with a foundation year. I'm adamant that i don't want to do business for another 3 years... I'm keen to do an apprenticeship instead... uni life... uni studying just isn't my thing. Is there much point in finishing my foundation year (not the same as a foundation degree) in terms of it looking good for employers?
    Just weigh up the pros and cons.

Ask them if theres a chance of getting a separate qualification. Duly notesd its not a foundation degree.
    If you finish and get the grades, then they are on record to show you completed the year and you performed well.

That might leave you in a good position if you ever wish to take up uni studies agai and start from scratch.. Are you willing to stick it out?

If you arent bothered and hate it then leave. Its not that big a loss and you still have a complete degree funding left if you change your mind in the future.

You could always apply for apprenticeships now and if you get one then leave. Your application might look slightly better than doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just weigh up the pros and cons.

Ask them if theres a chance of getting a separate qualification. Duly notesd its not a foundation degree.
    If you finish and get the grades, then they are on record to show you completed the year and you performed well.

That might leave you in a good position if you ever wish to take up uni studies agai and start from scratch.. Are you willing to stick it out?

If you arent bothered and hate it then leave. Its not that big a loss and you still have a complete degree funding left if you change your mind in the future.

You could always apply for apprenticeships now and if you get one then leave. Your application might look slightly better than doing nothing.
    I asked about funding and someone told me this (from the forum):

''You've used 2 years off student finance so far. It doesn't matter if you drop out part way through the year, it still counts as a whole year of finance.
    Your entitlement to finance is new course length + 1 - previous years.
    If you took a foundation degree that would be 2+1-2,
    For a 3 year degree it would be 3+1-2, so you'd only get funding for the last year of the degree.
    So you'll be one year short of funding for any future options if you decided not to continue. they work backwards, so the latter years of the course would be funded, and the year that you don't have finance for is the first year.''

He seems to think i wont be funded if i leave now or leave at the end of the year. Even for a 2 year course. Also i recall one having to inform unis you apply to of your previous applications etc... with 2 early drop outs on my list will they not take me in? I mean the entry requirements are low... its a foundation degree that was in clearing last year. But that's just me getting onto the course... will they fund it after 2 early drop outs?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by James385)
    I asked about funding and someone told me this (from the forum):

''You've used 2 years off student finance so far. It doesn't matter if you drop out part way through the year, it still counts as a whole year of finance.
    Your entitlement to finance is new course length + 1 - previous years.
    If you took a foundation degree that would be 2+1-2,
    For a 3 year degree it would be 3+1-2, so you'd only get funding for the last year of the degree.
    So you'll be one year short of funding for any future options if you decided not to continue. they work backwards, so the latter years of the course would be funded, and the year that you don't have finance for is the first year.''

He seems to think i wont be funded if i leave now or leave at the end of the year. Even for a 2 year course. Also i recall one having to inform unis you apply to of your previous applications etc... with 2 early drop outs on my list will they not take me in? I mean the entry requirements are low... its a foundation degree that was in clearing last year. But that's just me getting onto the course... will they fund it after 2 early drop outs?
    How much funding have you had? You havent mentioned any peviously.

You get funding for degree length +1 gift

Its my understanding if you drop out now, then you will just use the spare gift year, so that will leave you with funding at degree length +0., which is still a full degree.

Although it counts as a full year whether you leave now or next June, the difference is you might no incur the full £9250 and you wont get maintenance as soon as you cease to be a student, the flip side of that is you dont incur further student debt.

ps the person concerned seems to think you have had 2 years funding.
    They also think 3+1, then minus 2 comes out at degree -2.
    They dont appear to take into account youve had 1 years funding as its a foundation year and not a foundation degree and they have ignored the gift year.

You now indicate you have 2 early drop outs and that changes things depending how much funding youve had. If its 2 years, then n a new degree youd be at degree -1 i.e paid for fees from second year onward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How much funding have you had? You havent mentioned any peviously.

You get funding for degree length +1 gift

Its my understanding if you drop out now, then you will just use the spare gift year, so that will leave you with funding at degree length +0., which is still a full degree.

Although it counts as a full year whether you leave now or next June, the difference is you might no incur the full £9250 and you wont get maintenance as soon as you cease to be a student, the flip side of that is you dont incur further student debt.

ps the person concerned seems to think you have had 2 years funding.
    They also think 3+1, then minus 2 comes out at degree -2.
    They dont appear to take into account youve had 1 years funding as its a foundation year and not a foundation degree and they have ignored the gift year.

You now indicate you have 2 early drop outs and that changes things depending how much funding youve had. If its 2 years, then n a new degree youd be at degree -1 i.e paid for fees from second year onward.
    Yep sorry I left a course 1 year ago... joined this uni... and if i leave now it will be 2 years. Is there anyone other than student finance that can fund a 9k year? My parents will pay for accommodation.. so i dont have to worry too much about that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.