Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is FM (Edexcel modules specifically) beneficial in anyway towards computer science at undergraduate study? If so which modules would help me the most?

On top of that, I'm about to begin a course on Khan Academy in Linear Algebra and Calculus 1 to 2, but I felt very comfortable studying Maths using the Edexcel textbooks instead and would like to continue using those resources (taking a gap year). If It's not beneficial what resources would you advise I use to study CompSci in preparation for the course at uni and what math topics would you recommend I study?

Side Note: I'm considering going to a Canadian uni or British uni, but I'd likely go to Canada.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Is FM (Edexcel modules specifically) beneficial in anyway towards computer science at undergraduate study? If so which modules would help me the most?

On top of that, I'm about to begin a course on Khan Academy in Linear Algebra and Calculus 1 to 2, but I felt very comfortable studying Maths using the Edexcel textbooks instead and would like to continue using those resources (taking a gap year). If It's not beneficial what resources would you advise I use to study CompSci in preparation for the course at uni and what math topics would you recommend I study?

Side Note: I'm considering going to a Canadian uni or British uni, but I'd likely go to Canada.
    It does depend on the university as they will have different modules. I didn't even take FM but I did do Maths at A-Level and the only things that came up at university were S1 and S2, perhaps a little C1 and D1 as well. I think Decision Maths would probably be more suitable but the top unis probably have more maths related modules where FM would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I looked at the modules at like Imperial and Cambridge and it's a lot of m. Linear algebra comes up quite a lot unexpectedly, as well as set theory and general discrete mathematics. These unis also tend to require /recommend further maths anyway so I'd say it's pretty useful.

ReputationRep:
    All of the universities I've applied to for Computer Science have stated that Further Maths is a subject they prefer.

I would say that even if the same content doesn't come up, showing that you are very confident in maths and are able to show the right kind of problem solving skills is always beneficial.

Although I may be a tad biased (as someone who finds maths relatively easy), I would say that Further Maths is a lot of fun to study and certainly feels more interesting than just studying maths. But having said that, i you feel maths really isn't your strong point, I wouldn't take Further Maths just for the sake of you uni applications and would instead take a subject you feel more comfortable with and you feel you could achieve a better grade in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.