Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking A level French, Eng Lit and Psych - but my passion has always been writing. I would absolutely love this degree I'm sure, but what I'm not sure about is a career afterwards. I can possibly see myself being an editor or something like that, but is that achievable? The dream is obviously to publish but these days - who knows?

I'd love to hear any info you might have on what a creative writing degree is like - how do/did you find it, and what are the prospects like afterwards? Should I take a different subject that I'd likely enjoy less but be guaranteed a career in, or do what I love?

These deep moral dilemmas at 2am lololol...thanks in advance!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie0602)
    I'm currently taking A level French, Eng Lit and Psych - but my passion has always been writing. I would absolutely love this degree I'm sure, but what I'm not sure about is a career afterwards. I can possibly see myself being an editor or something like that, but is that achievable? The dream is obviously to publish but these days - who knows?

I'd love to hear any info you might have on what a creative writing degree is like - how do/did you find it, and what are the prospects like afterwards? Should I take a different subject that I'd likely enjoy less but be guaranteed a career in, or do what I love?

These deep moral dilemmas at 2am lololol...thanks in advance!

Hey Sophie,

If it's something you want to study then usually I'd say go for it! Ultimately you want to study something you enjoy and are passionate about.

I haven't done the CW BA, but I have done the MA and have really enjoyed it. I found it enhanced my writing skills and allowed me to try different types of writing and approaches I wouldn't have considered before.
    Regarding jobs. You could go on to do work as an editor, proof-reader, journalist, author (obvious one, but ultimately the most difficult to succeed at!) and a few professions involving media.
    You also have the option of dualing it with other subjects at most Universities if you want to keep your options open.

CW at BA level is still very much up and coming. There are still some prejudices towards it. But slowly it's becoming more and more recognised, especially in media fields.

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    Hey Sophie,

If it's something you want to study then usually I'd say go for it! Ultimately you want to study something you enjoy and are passionate about.

I haven't done the CW BA, but I have done the MA and have really enjoyed it. I found it enhanced my writing skills and allowed me to try different types of writing and approaches I wouldn't have considered before.
    Regarding jobs. You could go on to do work as an editor, proof-reader, journalist, author (obvious one, but ultimately the most difficult to succeed at!) and a few professions involving media.
    You also have the option of dualing it with other subjects at most Universities if you want to keep your options open.

CW at BA level is still very much up and coming. There are still some prejudices towards it. But slowly it's becoming more and more recognised, especially in media fields.

All the best,

David
    Thanks so much! I was considering doing a joint honours or major/minor with it; possibly with french or psychology. Even though I love to write I actually don't like English as a subject lol - I find it so limiting and boring! Did you do something like this - with what subjects? Sorry if this is a little intrusive to ask, but what do you do now?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie0602)
    Thanks so much! I was considering doing a joint honours or major/minor with it; possibly with french or psychology. Even though I love to write I actually don't like English as a subject lol - I find it so limiting and boring! Did you do something like this - with what subjects? Sorry if this is a little intrusive to ask, but what do you do now?
    Hey Sophie,

It's no problem at all!

For undergraduate I actually did History! I'd always had a keen interest in Creative Writing but didn't really embrace it properly until my mid twenties when I decided to begin getting stuff published. I kinda regret not studying it as a major or minor subject though, I think it'd have helped develop my writing style earlier on.

As for doing it as a major minor with French or Psychology. I'd say go for it. If those subject combos are available at the University you pick, you can get the best of both worlds!
    I know we offer Creative Writing with Languages as well as other core subjects.

Whatever you pick I hope you have a great time at Uni and enjoy your studies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.