Turn on thread page Beta

22 years old and only in my second year of uni, studying a crap course that I don't even enjoy and will get me nowhere- biomedicine. I was so smart in school, always top of my class and had such a promising future. I wanted to be a doctor and I could have actually done it. I was severely mentally and physically abused by my parents, my grades dropped from As to Ds and I became homeless various times thoughout my teens. This led me to give up on college, and I found myself constantly beginning courses and dropping out. I had no confidence, no support and no willpower anymore. Now feeling like a failure knowing I could have become a doctor and instead I'll have some crappy low paying biomed job, and that's if I can even manage to finish this degree (I had to retake the first year). I can't do medicine after because I don't have the grades and even if I miraculously got offered a place, I wouldn't be able to afford tuition. I'm a failure in every possible way. I have no friends and nothing to look forward to in life. What's the point? I don't even know why I'm posting this but it felt good to let it out, so thanks for reading.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    22 years old and only in my second year of uni, studying a crap course that I don't even enjoy and will get me nowhere- biomedicine. I was so smart in school, always top of my class and had such a promising future. I wanted to be a doctor and I could have actually done it. I was severely mentally and physically abused by my parents, my grades dropped from As to Ds and I became homeless various times thoughout my teens. This led me to give up on college, and I found myself constantly beginning courses and dropping out. I had no confidence, no support and no willpower anymore. Now feeling like a failure knowing I could have become a doctor and instead I'll have some crappy low paying biomed job, and that's if I can even manage to finish this degree (I had to retake the first year). I can't do medicine after because I don't have the grades and even if I miraculously got offered a place, I wouldn't be able to afford tuition. I'm a failure in every possible way. I have no friends and nothing to look forward to in life. What's the point? I don't even know why I'm posting this but it felt good to let it out, so thanks for reading.
    It is not our fault that we are born into certain circumstances these things are out of control don't blame yourself.I watched a speech by Tony Robbins he said if you want to blame then blame for all the s*** they put you through but also the positive side.Your parents weren't very good to you but at least you are a more determined person than those who lived a more comfortable life.Have you done a levels?If they are not good enough for medicine perhaps re sit them I know many universities accept resists for extenuating circumstances perhaps quit the Biomed as it won't being you much happiness and it is not a career you see yourself doing.I myself also an aspring medic always told myself I will do medicine no matter what if I have to study abroad because I don't get the grades I will if I have to re apply couple years in a row I will because I don't see myself being anything else but a doctor.I know universities may offer bursaries and financial support to those who need it.How about a part-time job?There is this amazing youtuber called Ibz Mo who got rubbish GCSE's no A's or A*'s resat his AS year and then gap a gap year and ended up at Cambridge and he was from a very unstable family background.Perhaps this will inspire you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-_RuX8i7E

Best wishes.

(Original post by Student-95)
    Stop whining and do something about it. Sounds like most of your failure is down to you being too busy feeling sorry for yourself and giving up.
    Don't be so harsh you don't know what OP went through growing up.You have no idea probably what being homeless is like and abused by the very people who are meant to protect you.OP must be very desperate that they are posting on TSR because they have no one to speak to and vent their emotional frustrations.This only shows badly about you.OP is in a very vulnerable place in her/his life and they need to hear that they are understood and that their feelings are valid not blame them.People do the unspeakable because of people like you putting people down when they are at the lowest they have been in their life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so harsh you don't know what OP went through growing up.You have no idea probably what being homeless is like and abused by the very people who are meant to protect you.OP must be very desperate that they are posting on TSR because they have no one to speak to and vent their emotional frustrations.This only shows badly about you.OP is in a very vulnerable place in her/his life and they need to hear that they are understood and that their feelings are valid not blame them.People do the unspeakable because of people like you putting people down when they are at the lowest they have been in their life.
    No, they need to change. If they keep going with their current attitude then they're doomed to fail. They need to suck it up and work towards the things they want.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Student-95)
    No, they need to change. If they keep going with their current attitude then they're doomed to fail. They need to suck it up and work towards the things they want.
    I think you are very unreasonable yes they need to work but it is hard to do so if you are struggling mentally I have been having mental health issues for 2 years now there were days I would be sitting in the bathroom crying all day.You have no idea what mental struggles are like.When they sort out their mental issues then they can get to work.They first need to receive encouragement and know that they can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Well stuff happens in life, at the start middle and end.

It’s how you deal with it that counts, you’re 22 and have lots of choices in life to make and you can change your direction at any point.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.