Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who has applied to do Fine Art here, or has any experience of Fine Art at Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    I went to an interview around (two months ago) and recieved an offer 4 days later. I brought an A-level portfolio with about 10 pages in it as well as two of my sketchbooks (I had to label the sketchbooks and the outside of my portfolio with my name, ucas number and course). When I arrived, there was a line of people waiting around the reception. Some student helpers gave us numbers. Turned out they were categories, and they called out each number one by one.

When they called out my number, about ten other people (who also shared my number) and I went upstairs to put our portfolios in a room. A student gave us a tour and we then waited in another room (so many rooms!) with all the other applicants (some had lunch and came back before a certain time) while students answered questions and professors tried to convince us that leeds is the “best university for you”. During this period, you will wait for what seems like eternity for your name to be called out for interview (not knowing when exactly). I highly recommend that you get to know the others around you as not only will they potentially be your future peers, but they might have valuable experiences and knowledge to relay to you before your interview.

When your name is called out, you will find yourself sitting at a table in the room in which you deposited your portfolio, with two other professors sat either side of you. In my case, I was interviewed by a professor of curation and a professor of (history of art in think?) as I was applying for fine art with museum studies. They did not dwell on my portfolio much, they simply asked me to choose a poignant piece of art from it and analyse why I chose it in particular. They then went on to ask me a controversial question regarding curation as a career, which caught me off guard (And to which I replied,”i don’t know, I guess it depends?”). They were extremely kind and cracked a few jokes, which helped me to calm my senses! Of course I laughed alongside them, but inside I was like “get me tf out of here!!”)

My interview did not go amazingly, but if you let them see your personnality and enthusiasm, this is what counts.

Finally, please, I advise you, not to walk alone, with your art stuff, from the train station to the fine art building. It is a suicide mission. Do not do it.

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.