Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Canned laughter Watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend watches soaps, especially the Big Bang Theory.
    Fior the first time in my life I sat and watched it with him.
    I immedialey noticed the fake laughter even when what was said wasn't funny.
    He said the show wouldn't work without it.

Is he right?
    People would realise that the dialogue is mostly un-funny.
    I prefer British dead-pan humour ... if it's genuinely fnny laugh, if not enjoy the silence, don't fill it with noise.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand canned laughter, it's just irritating to me and often I can't see the humour in what was said anyway

ReputationRep:
    As somebody who often deals with jokes, I find soundtrack laughter helpful....although I laugh at everything xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Shows which are filmed in front of a live audience tend to have better laugh tracks - because they're actually genuine. However this is expensive and unusual these day - the original run of Will and Grace did this, at least for the first few seasons (and you can tell, as you see them having to pause and wait for the laughter to stop, and often when someone in the audience has a crazy laugh the actors are trying to avoid laughing themselves). The archetypal example is of course, I Love Lucy, which is incidentally the source of most modern laugh tracks. Some argue about the genuineness of such live taped shows, as not infrequently the audience has prompt cards, but you can usually tell when a joke is genuinely funny.

But yes BBT is just a bunch of guys who fall entirely into the "nice-guy-fedora" stereotype whining about women not liking them when they don't respect them at all, and abusing their developmentally disabled friend. It's a bit grim once you think back on it. Although it's worth noting BBT is not a soap opera, and soap operas normally don't have laugh tracks (examples of soaps are EastEnders, Coronation Street, Grey's Anatomy, arguably HTGAWM).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)

But yes BBT is just a bunch of guys who fall entirely into the "nice-guy-fedora" stereotype whining about women not liking them when they don't respect them at all, and abusing their developmentally disabled friend. It's a bit grim once you think back on it. Although it's worth noting BBT is not a soap opera, and soap operas normally don't have laugh tracks (examples of soaps are EastEnders, Coronation Street, Grey's Anatomy, arguably HTGAWM).
    Insightful comments!
    I see you are an experienced lounger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    A friend watches soaps, especially the Big Bang Theory.
    Fior the first time in my life I sat and watched it with him.
    I immedialey noticed the fake laughter even when what was said wasn't funny.
    He said the show wouldn't work without it.

Is he right?
    People would realise that the dialogue is mostly un-funny.
    I prefer British dead-pan humour ... if it's genuinely fnny laugh, if not enjoy the silence, don't fill it with noise.
    I believe they film in front of a live audience but have to edit it so it appears canned. That's because sometimes the laughter drowns out what the actors are saying or goes on a little too long, so it has to be edited to carry on with the show. It's genuine laughter, just edited so it doesn't become annoying. If they laugh for 30 seconds at one joke, imagine how long the episode would end up being, or if one person has a loud snort when they laugh - that'll be really irritating to hear through the entire episode, so it makes sense.

Please note I said "I believe" at the beginning, so I'm not 100% certain I am correct.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You can find videos on YouTube that edit out the laughter from The Big Bang Theory, it really paints a picture as to just how unfunny the show is. It’s incredibly awkward, and very cringy to watch.

ReputationRep:
    BBT is a sitcom not a soap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.