Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if any current/past students at Lancaster university could tell me what life is like there. My dad works nearby in Preston and so it would be great to move up closer to him. I would be studying Fine Art (any replies about Fine Art specifically are more than welcome!)

I understand that Lancaster isn't the most 'happening' place in terms of nightlife and music. Do people tend to travel out to Manchester and Preston for this, or is it just kind of accepted that you just stick to the Sugarhouse and college bars and make do? I know lots of people say that they don't feel that Lancaster is the 'full university experience', but this is usually from people who DIDN'T go to Lancaster and are just assuming - I just wanted to know if anyone who has actually been there could tell me about their experience?

Thanks x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely a reputation that there's "nothing to do in Lancaster" but it seems like that's almost exclusively espoused by people who've never been, or people who've visited once from London and think everywhere will be just like London. I've lived here for most of the last 7 years and there are still pubs and bars I've not been to. Aside from the Sugarhouse there's Hustle and Dalton Rooms/Glow Rooms and Bentleys in terms of late night clubbing type stuff.

People do go to Manchester and Preston, but not often because it's a bit of a pain to get back home afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han_wilson)
    Hello,

I was wondering if any current/past students at Lancaster university could tell me what life is like there. My dad works nearby in Preston and so it would be great to move up closer to him. I would be studying Fine Art (any replies about Fine Art specifically are more than welcome!)

I understand that Lancaster isn't the most 'happening' place in terms of nightlife and music. Do people tend to travel out to Manchester and Preston for this, or is it just kind of accepted that you just stick to the Sugarhouse and college bars and make do? I know lots of people say that they don't feel that Lancaster is the 'full university experience', but this is usually from people who DIDN'T go to Lancaster and are just assuming - I just wanted to know if anyone who has actually been there could tell me about their experience?

Thanks x
    There are still plenty of clubs in Lancaster other than the sugarhouse. I wouldn't recommend trecking out into Preston or Manchester just for nights out but they did do a Manchester night out this year during freshers. Obviously, Lancaster isn't as lively as maybe Manchester or London but, in fairness, you might appreciate the quietness and calm when it comes exam period. I know I like it here but I think you can only make an informed decision if you come visit the campus and the town.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.