Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is considered a good graduate salary? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow members of TSR, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good graduate salary.

I’ve read that the average graduate salary is 21k. So what would you consider to be good. 25k ? 28k ? 30k? 40k?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends mine should be 23kish however a friend at google was told 120k

ReputationRep:
    It all really depends... Take a look at this.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustPadz)
    Hello fellow members of TSR, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good graduate salary.

I’ve read that the average graduate salary is 21k. So what would you consider to be good. 25k ? 28k ? 30k? 40k?
    Anything above the living wage. Unless you're coming into the graduate market with actual relevant industry experience, you're likely competing against hundreds if not thousands of other graduates for each individual role.

I ended uni with substantial experience in industry, and despite a mediocre degree result (because of taking the experience as a priority) was employed at a decent level within a fortnight of graduating. Whereas some of my fellow course mates who graduated with brilliant results academically, struggled to get anything industry relevant until as much as 2 years later.

ReputationRep:
    On a graduate scheme, I would consider 30-35k (in London) and 25k+ in other regions to be a good starting salary. Doesnt really say much about the quality of the job though, or the future prospects beyond the scheme.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

It depends.

A non-grad scheme job at a smaller to mid size company, can pay as low as £15-20k (especially up north) starting.

On a grad scheme at any normal big company (or professional graduate job like FY1 doctors etc), I'd say literally anything between £22-£35k is normal. With a few outliers at £35-40k.

In elite, high paying roles at top companies, anywhere from £45-90k starting is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course/job. If you're an English grad then 25k is great. If you're a chemical engineering grad then that's poor. If you're an engineering grad but you choose to go into teaching then 25k is good again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Anything above the living wage. Unless you're coming into the graduate market with actual relevant industry experience, you're likely competing against hundreds if not thousands of other graduates for each individual role.

I ended uni with substantial experience in industry, and despite a mediocre degree result (because of taking the experience as a priority) was employed at a decent level within a fortnight of graduating. Whereas some of my fellow course mates who graduated with brilliant results academically, struggled to get anything industry relevant until as much as 2 years later.
    Depends on what degree you go into.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good for me would be anything above the general market value for the job that you have applied to.

Someone working in HR for a charity will be paid less than someone in HR for an investment bank.

Someone working as an accountant in Hull will be paid less than an accountant working in the city of London.

An mechanical engineer will be paid more than a nurse, and yet both (generally) need a degree.

If you want to talk generically, then that means anything over £21k is a good figure to earn when compared to every other graduate, you are earning above the average rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Depends on what degree you go into.
    STEM subjects, not so much.

Arts are hugely subjective, and generally not particularly well paid unless applicants are truly exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    STEM subjects, not so much.

Arts are hugely subjective, and generally not particularly well paid unless applicants are truly exceptional.
    Depends on which one you go into for STEM
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Your starting salary isn't *that* important - it's your progression that matters more

A good scheme may not pay the most but will provide a foundation of useful work experience/skills and set you up for the next stage in your career path.

NB. And it's usually easier to get the largest salary improvements by changing employer once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    A good salary is one which leaves you with spare money after all living expenses each month
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezisola)
    A good salary is one which leaves you with spare money after all living expenses each month
    :yy:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds], nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    It all really depends... Take a look at this.
    How does complementary medicine get on that... gah.

Try this:

Name:  Grad earnings by subject - median after 5 years.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  143.1 KB

NB. *NOT* starting salaries.

Edit: This data only shows PAYE earnings - so self-employed (e.g. creatives and artists) are largely ignored

ReputationRep:
    Live in the North West so I know the money won't be as good as down South, but I'm aiming to take no lower than 20k. It depends on the company though, if I joined someone well respected with room to grow it'd settle for less

ReputationRep:

There is no such thing as an across the board "good graduate salary". It will depend on location, i.e. £25k in the North East is probably better than £27.5k in London. It will depend on what you are expected to do for that salary, i.e. yes, you might be on a starting salary of £40k, but are you expected to be in at 7am and leave at 6pm every day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    How does complementary medicine get on that... gah.

Try this:

Name:  Grad earnings by subject - median after 5 years.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  143.1 KB

NB. *NOT* starting salaries.
    Wow, it’s so depressing seeing your passion as the lowest earning job.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
    But you love your job

And I think creative industry jobs are underreported anyway. Tagging PQ for thoughts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    But you love your job

And I think creative industry jobs are underreported anyway. Tagging PQ for thoughts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That data only shows PAYE earnings - so all the self employed creatives and artists (which is a good 1/4 to 1/3 if not more) are completely ignored (or only included for their part time job that they use as a backup or to keep busy or to teach etc).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.