Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's my birthday on Friday and I have 0 plans. Half of my friends are on holiday and family are in work so I'll have absolutely nothing to do on that day. I'll probably just end up sitting in alone. It's just so annoying as I barely celebrate my birthday and I just wanted this year to be different.

I have so much work to do for sixth form next week too and I can't do any of it as I just can't focus and just feel horrible. Sixth form stresses me out so much if I go one day without doing any work the guilt overwhelms me but I can't get started. I constantly feel anxious and on edge and I'm just terrified of failure.

Sorry this was a bit of ramble, I just needed to let it all out. I feel so stupid for complaining as I know so many people have it worse than me but I've never felt so bad before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's my birthday on Friday and I have 0 plans. Half of my friends are on holiday and family are in work so I'll have absolutely nothing to do on that day. I'll probably just end up sitting in alone. It's just so annoying as I barely celebrate my birthday and I just wanted this year to be different.

I have so much work to do for sixth form next week too and I can't do any of it as I just can't focus and just feel horrible. Sixth form stresses me out so much if I go one day without doing any work the guilt overwhelms me but I can't get started. I constantly feel anxious and on edge and I'm just terrified of failure.

Sorry this was a bit of ramble, I just needed to let it all out. I feel so stupid for complaining as I know so many people have it worse than me but I've never felt so bad before
    What about the other half of your friends? You asked them if they're available? If not, you could plan something for yourself e.g. go watch a movie.

As far as your stress is concerned, what have you done to cope? Have you talked to a friend or family member? Visited the GP or counsellor? Got in contact with the Samaritans? If not, then I suggest you get in contact with someone who can listen to your issues and provide you with the necessary support.

Also, you could take up a hobby to cope. I've joined the gym which has helped take my mind off the stresses of work. You could also take up a sport, read a book, learn something new (e.g. learn to programme or learn a new language).

I think the bigger problem here is your fear of failure and the stress of A Levels, rather than your birthday? :console:

A Levels are awful, they make you stressed and miserable and you'll feel like everything will go wrong because of them. Take a deep breath and let yourself know that everything will be okay. You are allowed to take some time off from revision to just relax and clear your mind - it will not make you fail.

I felt the same as you did when I started Year 13 and I was so convinced I was going to fail if I didn't work for X hours every day, and I got myself so worried about that my grades started dropping. I finally told myself that over the Autumn half-term I wasn't going to do any work (apart from homework so my teachers wouldn't get mad at me!) and I was just going to relax. It was awful for the first few days because of how guilty I felt, but by the end I felt so much better and when I started working again I was working better and remembering more.

With A Levels you need to revise well, not revise hard. If you're spending hours looking at something and you're not remembering any of it then change what you're doing. Try talking to some of your teachers or friends (or even on TSR) and get some different revision techniques. They won't all work so don't keep forcing yourself to do something just because someone said it was amazing for them, just try different things until you find what works for you. You have a long time until your exams and you will be fine

Now back to your birthday plans! It's awful to have a birthday when everyone is busy and it sounds like doing something to celebrate would have been a nice distraction for you. Even though you can't do anything on your birthday you could try and plan something to give you something to look forward to. My friendship group at school decided we wouldn't do anything until the last person's birthday because of exams and money, but we all planned a really big, amazing party for the end of the year. It gave us all something to look forward to - you could think about doing something like that?

And for your actual birthday you could just plan a really nice evening for yourself - order some food you love and spend the evening doing whatever you want to (for me it would be video games all evening!). It may not be the celebration you were hoping for, but that doesn't mean you have to be upset and forcing yourself to work.

Have a wonderful birthday and good luck with your exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.