Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learning To Be More Confident In My Ability : Year 10 GYG Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    aw! thanks! i’m really excited about it haha!
    it won’t be as good as yours
    Hey best of luck!

If you need anything or just want to chat feel free to drop me a line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hey best of luck!

If you need anything or just want to chat feel free to drop me a line
    ah thank you!
    i’ll be sure to do that whenever i need
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    didnt update yesterday as i had my annual ski club champs which was really fun, it was great to have no pressures of school or studying or homework for a day! also watched some fireworks in the evening, it ended up to be quite a late night...

really didn’t want to go to school this morning, my anxiety was making me feel so ughhh and stressy about school but i had a good timetable so it kinda motivated me to go in :/

so what did i have?

E N G L i S H
    watched the final bit of the production of frankenstein, it was a bit graphic and a weird ending but nevertheless i enjoyed it - then we were shown how we should structure our english literature books with summaries and explanations and i’m really excited as this structure looks like it will work for me!
    we’re going to do our analysis in the actual novel but my highlighters bleed through the pages so i’m going to have to dig out the fineliners!!!

P H Y S i C S
    final lesson before our test, did some more work on forces that stretch and developed our understanding. we used the extension equation and the spring constant equation and i’m actually understanding it! i have loads of notes and revision to do though and it has to be done before wednesday?! ahh

S P A N i S H
    new vocab, activities, listening skills and a bit of translation

P E (practical)
    first lesson of netball and the boys have no clue what’s going on looool (in gcse we do pe mixed, whereas in lower school we do it female and male) i didn’t play great but should hopefully improve with time

B i O L O G Y
    recap lesson on active transport, actually got everything done today but biology always goes so fast and i’m like avhejwqooajwb what just happened
    will probably need to revise it all!

i’m aware i haven’t posted many photos in a while so here’s some examples of my work today

Name:  FB2C1EF8-8AAB-4759-B048-ABF815CBA7C5.jpg.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  22.9 KB
    Name:  58B26420-C241-45D6-92FE-DB13614FF18D.jpg.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  33.8 KB
    Name:  674EE443-1EDA-4F6C-B8AF-DF137232ACE1.jpg.jpeg
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  E9BB1CD5-A679-460B-887F-A278B1481C20.jpg.jpeg
Size:  27.5 KB

just gotta eat quickly and then i’m off to help coach at my swim club *yikes*
    at the moment it’s just volunteering but hopefully i’ll get paid at some point??
    i am basically responsible for a few people in two groups of 6-11 year olds either ASA stage 6-7 or ASA stage 8-9 so it’s a bit daunting when i’m only 14/15 lol!

it’s fun though and it’ll look good on my cv!

hopefully i will have some time to revise tomorrow; anya

ReputationRep:
    last night was so hard, it was so hot on poolside and i almost fainted lol but otherwise it was good!

R E
    we have a test really soon so i should probably revise but i have a physics test too ahhh!
    today we did life after death/eschatology so it was really deep! we didn’t actually do any work though, just wrote a summary of what we learnt and talked about it??

M A T H S
    histograms - i don’t get it!
    but i will check through my textbooks/revision guides after i’ve done my revision tonight. i know how to construct them but the interpretation is so hard!

G E O G R A P H Y
    more on the case study, we did some more map work first and then went through the causes, location, purpose and effects of the cockermouth floods

E N G L i S H
    first analysis of frankenstein, went through the first 4 letters by richard walton!
    it’s cool but my highlighters bleed through the page

C H E M i S T R Y
    covalent bonding today, apparently we got it really quickly but i still don’t understand the diagrams haha, my set is full of geniuses :/ i cannot understand how there are so many clever people in my year and it’s not a grammar school whatttt

anyways i have some hardcore physics revision to do! (yep, the night before...) so i better get on with it!

i’ll update again soon; anya

ReputationRep:
    sorry its looking like today’s update will be a bit of a mumble again

my motivation has dipped massively again, i just don’t feel like i’m going to achieve what i want!
    i definitely think my mental well-being is having an impact on it, unfortunately it is what it is, i can cope with my mood swings and bouts of anxiety but it does affect my learning/motivation...

for example, in history i learnt that a lot of people got equal or higher than me in the essay (i got 14/16) and this made me feel really miserable because i’d tried quite hard and stressed so much about doing well! don’t get me wrong - it’s a great mark - but i’m not used to people doing better than me in some subjects :0

ive also been incredibly stressed by the pressure of these exams, there’s a lot of content and i can’t see how i’m going to do well in the exams so it doesn’t help when i’m browsing on TSR through the dreaded ‘results day thread’ and everyone’s getting all 9’s/A*’s “hoping to study medicine”... rahhh!! it makes me feel as though i’m not capable of doing medicine or i’m not clever enough *cri*

anyways, i’d better report on today

M A T H S
    more on histograms, it’s making a bit more sense but i’m going to have to revise it

R E
    a revision lesson since we have our test tomorrow, i’m happy to share what i conjured up during this lesson so here’s what i did :
    Name:  5C240241-A949-4BAD-8762-E32F3231CDCA.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  30.0 KB
    it’s basically the structure of each question (abcd) and how to answer it, then some practice questions for the relevant question on the back
    i also started some prompt cards which i’ll develop tonight so i get some condensed information on each topic?!
    finally i wrote down all of the sources of wisdom and authority for each topic and i’m going to make flash cards with the actual quotes :
    Name:  229BF6E6-CA0C-4044-B06C-8E0C5B98A279.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  26.0 KB
    excuse the sloppiness!

H i S T O R Y
    as i said, this lesson made me feel a bit rubbish and we were planning ANOTHER ‘essay’ (12 mark question), i have no idea what to write and i’ve got a week to do it so i’m going to have to do some work on it i think! we were also given a specimen paper which i’m going to put in my history folder woop!

P H Y S i C S
    had my test, i can’t figure out if i found it easy or hard, the questions were easy but it wasn’t what we had been taught? some of it confused me but on the whole i was able to answer stuff... it just wasn’t really what we had been taught but instead i used logic... hopefully i did alright but i’m not sure!

E N G L i S H
    analysis of chapter 1; t’was fun!
    actually a relaxing final lesson, now just debating which revision guide to buy for frankenstein...

anyone got recommendations? i’m trying to decide between CGP and york notes but if anyone has any others i’m happy to consider them!

do you have ever feel less motivated than usual?; anya

ReputationRep:
    sorry its looking like today’s update will be a bit of a mumble again

my motivation has dipped massively again, i just don’t feel like i’m going to achieve what i want!
    i definitely think my mental well-being is having an impact on it, unfortunately it is what it is, i can cope with my mood swings and bouts of anxiety but it does affect my learning/motivation...

for example, in history i learnt that a lot of people got equal or higher than me in the essay (i got 14/16) and this made me feel really miserable because i’d tried quite hard and stressed so much about doing well! don’t get me wrong - it’s a great mark - but i’m not used to people doing better than me in some subjects :0

ive also been incredibly stressed by the pressure of these exams, there’s a lot of content and i can’t see how i’m going to do well in the exams so it doesn’t help when i’m browsing on TSR through the dreaded ‘results day thread’ and everyone’s getting all 9’s/A*’s “hoping to study medicine”... rahhh!! it makes me feel as though i’m not capable of doing medicine or i’m not clever enough *cri*

anyways, i’d better report on today

M A T H S
    more on histograms, it’s making a bit more sense but i’m going to have to revise it

R E
    a revision lesson since we have our test tomorrow, i’m happy to share what i conjured up during this lesson so here’s what i did :
    Name:  5C240241-A949-4BAD-8762-E32F3231CDCA.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  30.0 KB
    it’s basically the structure of each question (abcd) and how to answer it, then some practice questions for the relevant question on the back
    i also started some prompt cards which i’ll develop tonight so i get some condensed information on each topic?!
    finally i wrote down all of the sources of wisdom and authority for each topic and i’m going to make flash cards with the actual quotes :
    Name:  229BF6E6-CA0C-4044-B06C-8E0C5B98A279.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  26.0 KB
    excuse the sloppiness!

H i S T O R Y
    as i said, this lesson made me feel a bit rubbish and we were planning ANOTHER ‘essay’ (12 mark question), i have no idea what to write and i’ve got a week to do it so i’m going to have to do some work on it i think! we were also given a specimen paper which i’m going to put in my history folder woop!

P H Y S i C S
    had my test, i can’t figure out if i found it easy or hard, the questions were easy but it wasn’t what we had been taught? some of it confused me but on the whole i was able to answer stuff... it just wasn’t really what we had been taught but instead i used logic... hopefully i did alright but i’m not sure!

E N G L i S H
    actually a relaxing final lesson, now just debating which revision guide to buy for frankenstein...

anyone got recommendations? i’m trying to decide between CGP and york notes but if anyone has any others i’m happy to consider them!

Dont worry Anya! Its ok to feel a little less motivated at times and i totally get what you mean when people get higher than you etc. Just remember that if the score pleased you personally, you shouldn't worry or get anxious! I remember i always used to compete with others in my form but after a period of time it made me feel extremely upset and anxious since it made me feel dumb. So i stopped trying to compete with others and focus on myself and my personal goals. Now, in a test, if i get the mark i want i dont usually care about someone else's score pfftt hell no. I have no time to get upset over someone else's score over mine. Instead i aim to improve my revision technique etc. Your a smart girl and i know that so dont let the results of others bring you down! Sorry for the ramble and hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    Dont worry Anya! Its ok to feel a little less motivated at times and i totally get what you mean when people get higher than you etc. Just remember that if the score pleased you personally, you shouldn't worry or get anxious! I remember i always used to compete with others in my form but after a period of time it made me feel extremely upset and anxious since it made me feel dumb. So i stopped trying to compete with others and focus on myself and my personal goals. Now, in a test, if i get the mark i want i dont usually care about someone else's score pfftt hell no. I have no time to get upset over someone else's score over mine. Instead i aim to improve my revision technique etc. Your a smart girl and i know that so dont let the results of others bring you down! Sorry for the ramble and hope this helped!
    ah thank you!
    that has helped

how was your day?

ReputationRep:
    anyaaaa how are you already making flashcards???!!!!!
    im so unproductive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    anyaaaa how are you already making flashcards???!!!!!
    im so unproductive
    to be honest i’m not
    ive done a few here and there for science but i tried some for RE because it’s really a knowledge based subject and if you know the mark scheme/how to answer then everything is cool - so that’s what i’m doing - flash cards!!

i’m honestly being this productive because i’m scared of failing at least you are very clever and you don’t need to revise for a long time!

i’m predicted good grade but i have to work very hard for them ahhh !!

ReputationRep:
    I

E N G L i S H

Ah yes, gotta love Frankenstein! (I've got one week left on it at school!)
    I have the York notes guide for it which has loads of detail (chapter summaries, characters, key themes etc) mainly because it was on special offer when I bought it but my main resource for context is Mr Bruff, he did a really useful Frankenstein YouTube series.
    Also, I'm guessing if your on chapter one then you've already read the letters from Walton? What do you think of them? Generally I've really enjoyed the novel but there are many long passages about nature to come in the novel (the perk of Shelley being surrounded by romanticism while writing the novel) at one point we skipped over a huge paragraph (as a class) because there was too long a description of the mountains (and we were under time constraints!) Then again, I quite like the structure of the book and the use of the letters, it's more interesting then just a story! (Why write just a story when you can write a story with letters too?!)
    Let me know how you find the rest of the novel (especially chapter 5!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    I
    Ah yes, gotta love Frankenstein! (I've got one week left on it at school!)
    I have the York notes guide for it which has loads of detail (chapter summaries, characters, key themes etc) mainly because it was on special offer when I bought it but my main resource for context is Mr Bruff, he did a really useful Frankenstein YouTube series.
    Also, I'm guessing if your on chapter one then you've already read the letters from Walton? What do you think of them? Generally I've really enjoyed the novel but there are many long passages about nature to come in the novel (the perk of Shelley being surrounded by romanticism while writing the novel) at one point we skipped over a huge paragraph (as a class) because there was too long a description of the mountains (and we were under time constraints!) Then again, I quite like the structure of the book and the use of the letters, it's more interesting then just a story! (Why write just a story when you can write a story with letters too?!)
    Let me know how you find the rest of the novel (especially chapter 5!)
    nice! yeahh i still don’t know which one to get :/
    the letters are interesting - i like the frame narrative of the novel - but at the same time it’s really different to what i’m used to so it confuses me a bit haha!

look forward to chapter 5 then.

ReputationRep:
    an odd, and i guess stressful day *arghhh*

G E O G R A P H Y
    finished off our study of a river management scheme and had some time to revise for our test tomorrow

P E (theory)
    we should have got our tests back but NOPE we had a supply teacher (luckily he is a trained PE teacher) and learnt about classification of skills, im a bit confused but i can go over it so it’s all good

H i S T O R Y
    had to leave halfway through for a violin lesson but we’re filling in a sheet that categorises why england went to war with spain in 1585???
    basically at the moment learning the reasons why, which are most important and other factors but i have to catch up on this

my V i O L i N L E S S O N was basically me playing ‘one day like this’ which is harder than you think? really out of time with the piano accompaniment, need to get my grade 5 book so i can start working towards that (luckily i’m not doing gcse music so we can do this in as much time as we like)

M A T H S
    approximate mean and how you can do it on a calculator, i got lost about 10 minutes in and spent the rest of the lesson like ‘wtf’ but my teacher says it’s on the casio website so i’m all good and i can look this up as well!

R E
    MY TEST AND UGH IM SO TRIGGERED, HE TEACHES US FROM THE TEXTBOOK AND AT THE END OF THE UNIT THERE ARE 4 PRACTICE QUESTIONS, I WENT THROUGH THESE AND THEY ARE MY MAIN QUESTIONS FOR THE QUESTION STRUCTURE PARAGRAPHS SO I HAD THE 4 QUESTIONS ON MY FLASHCARDS AS HE USED THESE!!! BUT I DIDNT WRITE THE ANSWERS, I COULD HAVE REVISED THE ANSWERS BUT UGH NOPE...
    the test was otherwise easy i’m just annoyed that he used the practice questions at the back of the book, i literally had these on my flashcards - it’s ok though because that’s basically cheating and at least i did the test just using the knowledge i had revised and hopefully i’ll still get close to full marks??? i don’t know though

now i’ve got a lot of studying to do!
    anyone else got too much homework and revision?;anya

ReputationRep:
    nice! yeahh i still don’t know which one to get :/
    the letters are interesting - i like the frame narrative of the novel - but at the same time it’s really different to what i’m used to so it confuses me a bit haha!

look forward to chapter 5 then.
    yeah the narrative is pretty confusing, I only really understood what was going on the second time i read it (which luckily was when I read it in class so no embarrassing moments!)
    ahaha look forward to chapter 5, I’ve analysed it so many times this term (my teacher says examiners are obsessed with it)
    good luck reading it, it’s challenging and takes a lot of perseverance to get through it (especially if you do reading as a class, I always find myself drifting off...) ugh apparently in my double period of English tomorrow we’re reading (as a class) from chapters 20-the end! (It’s going to be tough!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    yeah the narrative is pretty confusing, I only really understood what was going on the second time i read it (which luckily was when I read it in class so no embarrassing moments!)
    ahaha look forward to chapter 5, I’ve analysed it so many times this term (my teacher says examiners are obsessed with it)
    good luck reading it, it’s challenging and takes a lot of perseverance to get through it (especially if you do reading as a class, I always find myself drifting off...) ugh apparently in my double period of English tomorrow we’re reading (as a class) from chapters 20-the end! (It’s going to be tough!)
    good luck!
    ive got english period 1 and i reckon i’ll find it hard to focus haha

ReputationRep:
    Just saw your post from a couple of days ago about histograms - SAME! I find them quite hard even though I could do algebraic proofs, circle theorems and vectors in my sleep Really need to work on those (totally not putting it off)...

I'm also feeling the same as you in regards to motivation. Past couple of days haven't been great tbh, but I'm going to keep going and try my best.

My RE teacher does that too, no idea why - probably why I average 95% on RE tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikey)
    Just saw your post from a couple of days ago about histograms - SAME! I find them quite hard even though I could do algebraic proofs, circle theorems and vectors in my sleep Really need to work on those (totally not putting it off)...

I'm also feeling the same as you in regards to motivation. Past couple of days haven't been great tbh, but I'm going to keep going and try my best.

My RE teacher does that too, no idea why - probably why I average 95% on RE tests
    well at least you can do the harder stuff! i don’t think we can do any of it haha :/

to be honest, i’ve had a bad week overall so hopefully next week will be better! i’m trying my hardest too

i guess it means i’ll be very well prepared in my next few RE tests im just annoyed i didn’t figure that out earlier! oh well, i’ll just see how i did with my own revision - that’s how it’ll be in the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    year 10 isn’t/wasn’t hard at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    year 10 isn’t/wasn’t hard at all
    fair enough
    you don’t really have to revise, just learn the content but i’d really like to do well and i’m subsequently finding it a little hard with all the pressure!

what year are you in? and how are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    fair enough
    you don’t really have to revise, just learn the content but i’d really like to do well and i’m subsequently finding it a little hard with all the pressure!

what year are you in? and how are you finding it?
    i mean’t it wasn’t hard for me. i wasn’t being rude!
    but perhaps i just didn’t do as much work as you’re doing now in year 10

i’m in year 11 now and i guess i should of done more work in year 10 but don’t overwork yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    i mean’t it wasn’t hard for me. i wasn’t being rude!
    but perhaps i just didn’t do as much work as you’re doing now in year 10

i’m in year 11 now and i guess i should of done more work in year 10 but don’t overwork yourself!
    haha don’t worry i didn’t take it in a rude way!

i’m honestly not doing that much work and i would be doing less - but a lot of my peers (even those who aren’t as ‘clever’ as i am?? don’t know how to say describe it) are doing SO MUCH work, my parents obviously want me to do the best i can and then i guess this (TSR) is giving me reason to revise/work as well!

the only real work i’m doing so far is for end of topic tests - and i have quite a few at the moment :/

i hope year 11 goes well for you!!

right now i’m putting off geography revision and a whole load of other ‘organisational’ tasks i need to do, ive had so much stress recently and i’m just trying to shake it off haha i really don’t want to revise too much but at the same time, i am desperate for good grades (most people would argue i wouldn’t have to work for them and i’m basically guaranteed to do well but i disagree) so i will work for them! it really depends on the person and i would never say anyone is doing something wrong - not revising or working at all in year 10 is fine by me, i have a lot of friends now in year 11 who didn’t do much and they’re coping just fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.