Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this question has actually been asked so many times I myself am sick of it. However, there's always so many mixed replies. Looking at entry requirements, you don't need maths (or physics) alongside chemistry and biology other than at Cambridge, where it gives you a strong advantage.

However, I feel like there's some unwritten rule that says if you take 3 sciences you're much more likely to get in? I mean, if Cambridge statiscally prefer it, then why not other unis?

I got a 9 (A**) in gcse maths but I actually find maths by itself without application (like in chemistry) incredibly boring and I'm unsure if I could put up with it for 2 years and come out with an A in the end. Anyway, I'm just under 2 months into the year studying Theology (philosophy and ethics) aka RS-as I find it very interesting and the ethics would be useful for a career in medicine- so I don't think I could switch now ?? But I'm sure if I made a big deal out of it I could.

I should've asked this q earlier but it's been playing on my mind more recently.

Also, would a level maths give you any sort of advantage in the ukcat ??

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends wanted to study economics so he took maths and ended up with a U in maths.
    I don't think it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh787)
    Ok so this question has actually been asked so many times I myself am sick of it. However, there's always so many mixed replies. Looking at entry requirements, you don't need maths (or physics) alongside chemistry and biology other than at Cambridge, where it gives you a strong advantage.

However, I feel like there's some unwritten rule that says if you take 3 sciences you're much more likely to get in? I mean, if Cambridge statiscally prefer it, then why not other unis?

I got a 9 (A**) in gcse maths but I actually find maths by itself without application (like in chemistry) incredibly boring and I'm unsure if I could put up with it for 2 years and come out with an A in the end. Anyway, I'm just under 2 months into the year studying Theology (philosophy and ethics) aka RS-as I find it very interesting and the ethics would be useful for a career in medicine- so I don't think I could switch now ?? But I'm sure if I made a big deal out of it I could.

I should've asked this q earlier but it's been playing on my mind more recently.

Many thanks.
    Focus on getting good grades, if you don’t think you’d enjoy doing a subject then definitely don’t do it - it’ll become a very long 2 years.

I’m the same with Maths, I didn’t get a 9 but I find it boring on its own, but when you apply it, it’s not so bad. That’s why I took Physics instead of Maths (hopefully I don’t change my mind on what course to do!)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Many thanks.
    Obviously, as far as I am aware, there are no med schools which require you to take maths and it doesn't give you any advantage really if you took it. You do not require A Level Maths knowledge for the UKCAT. At an extent though, I guess it does give people who did maths a slight advantage as they tend to do better in the quantitative reasoning section (but that's only probably because they do maths regularly). If you got a 9 at GCSE, then you don't really need to worry.

Also the vast number of successful candidates for Cambrudge have 3 sciences but that doesn't mean it's because they took 3 sciences. Correlation is not the same as causation.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Many thanks.
    It's not needed. End of.

(However, it can be somewhat useful for BMAT).

(However part II, nearly all succesful applicants to Cambridge do have 3 sciences (ie. Bio, Chem plus either Physics or Maths).)

ReputationRep:
    Because Cambridge doesn't set the standards for everything and everywhere else (thank jeebus).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the helpful replies, everybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's not needed. End of.

(However, it can be somewhat useful for BMAT).

(However part II, nearly all succesful applicants to Cambridge do have 3 sciences (ie. Bio, Chem plus either Physics or Maths).)
    I might just apply for ukcat universities then when the time comes, as long as I do ok on it (as these are the vast majority anyway)?

ReputationRep:

Many thanks.
    We know Cambridge states a preference for a third science (NOT math specifically).

We know that based on the data Oxford makes publicly available, you are slightly more likely to get an interview if you take maths.

Other unis do not release any data, so we don't know. There are two possibilities: a) They genuinely don't want maths, or b) there is a national conspiracy against applicants, held by every single med school in the UK (except Oxford and Cambridge) to have a secret requirement for maths, but not to tell any of their future students, alumni and staff, that this is the case, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Which do you think is more likely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.