Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello peeps,

I am applying for University for next year and was wondering whether or not it would be smart to take Economics with one other discipline such as:

- Economics and Politics
    - Economics and Management
    - Economics and Finance
    - Economics and Accounting, etc.

...Or Economics on its own.

1) Which one gives me more Employability?
    2) Which one gives me a decent career for Monetary Interest?
    3) Which is more enjoyable or 'dull' and boring?

Thank you for your time and response!E
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The only subject worth combining Economics with in terms of broadening long term prospects is Mathematics (or Mathematical Statistics). This would be the ideal route to preparing for higher academic study in Economics - such as a PhD. However unless you're exceptionally strong in mathematics and in particular interested in formally proving general solutions to the types of problem you can and do find specific solutions for on a day-to-day basis now (presuming you're taking A-level Maths) then it will probably backfire.

For anything else, it's as good or bad as any other arbitrary subject or combination. The only things where Economics (on it's own or in combination) is specifically a necessary background are things that normally require a PhD to pursue anyway. Beyond that the only thing that matters is the name of the university you attend, particularly for the roles you're...interested, in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.