Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm white and so is my girlfriend. I've recently discovered her ex was Asian. Not fully, one of his parents was Indian, and I always just presumed he was a naturally tanned person.

It's the old cliche saying, I'm not racist in any way, I hate racism and some of my closest friends are non-white. But I don't like that my girlfriend has been with an Asian lad. I don't know why and I can't explain it, I just don't like it.

Am I the only one with this feeling?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like her ex because of his race, then you are being racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm white and so is my girlfriend. I've recently discovered her ex was Asian. Not fully, one of his parents was Indian, and I always just presumed he was a naturally tanned person.

It's the old cliche saying, I'm not racist in any way, I hate racism and some of my closest friends are non-white. But I don't like that my girlfriend has been with an Asian lad. I don't know why and I can't explain it, I just don't like it.

Am I the only one with this feeling?

ReputationRep:
    It's called...

*drumroll please*

Internalized Racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    If you don't like her ex because of his race, then you are being racist.
    man stfu you bore.

it's not racist at all and is very normal, psychologically we like to feel connected to those with similar traits, race being one of most significance, don't talk zhit.

I get how it can be perceived as racism internally, but considering my thoughts towards racist people, surely it cannot be that. I'm massively against it, I've spoke up against discrimination when I've seen it, I really don't have any prejudices generally, just in this one specific scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hf183)
    man stfu you bore.

it's not racist at all and is very normal, psychologically we like to feel connected to those with similar traits, race being one of most significance, don't talk zhit.
    So are you saying it's okay to not like someone because they aren't the same race as you?

ReputationRep:
    i get why you feel like this , but chances are you're never gonna meet this guy , so just forget about him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I get how it can be perceived as racism internally, but considering my thoughts towards racist people, surely it cannot be that. I'm massively against it, I've spoke up against discrimination when I've seen it, I really don't have any prejudices generally, just in this one specific scenario.
    Just because you aren't generally racist, doesn't mean that you can't be racist on some occasions. In my opinion, you saying you're going off your girlfriend because of the race of her ex is racist. You're discriminating against her and him because of his race. To me, that just doesn't seem right. I know you'll disagree with me and other people will and that's fine, but in answer to your original post, you should feel bad because it is wrong. Again, this is my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it this way.....would it bother you if her ex was Black or East asian? If it's a yes, then it's normal and you're not racist. If not.....I think him being an Indian is bothering you in a deeper level.

(Original post by JDieMstr)
    Think about it this way.....would it bother you if her ex was Black or East asian? If it's a yes, then it's normal and you're not racist. If not.....I think him being an Indian is bothering you in a deeper level.
    Yes, it's not specifically that he's Indian, I was just using his nationality to set the scenario, rather than it's specifically that.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just because you aren't generally racist, doesn't mean that you can't be racist on some occasions. In my opinion, you saying you're going off your girlfriend because of the race of her ex is racist. You're discriminating against her and him because of his race. To me, that just doesn't seem right. I know you'll disagree with me and other people will and that's fine, but in answer to your original post, you should feel bad because it is wrong. Again, this is my opinion.
    I appreciate that, I wanted people's opinions and I'm grateful for yours.

ReputationRep:
    Worried she's going to go find an Asian lad? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have a problem if he is Asian? It shouldn't make a difference.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What are you gonna do about it, dump her? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hf183)
    lol @ the asians above me. yall fugly, that's why she probably left the asian dude, don't get hyped up loooooooooooooooooooool of course she will soon bounce back to her own race, yall either thick or don't understand how the human brain works. For her to have stayed with another but her own obviously means she is deeply insecure and doesn't respect herself or her genetics.

inb4 more butthurt asians
    There's beautiful people from each race. Stop bashing Asian people . At least they add some seasoning to their food . So what ,if she was in an interracial relationship .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.