Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got 6A's 4B's and 2C's (C's in french and textiles) and I have contexual data don't know if that makes a difference?

But anyway as it states in the question

ReputationRep:
    depends where you're applying to

ReputationRep:
    Also depends on your A-level predictions, whether you have relevant work experience, and how serious the contextual data is.

(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    depends where you're applying to
    Not oxbridge, the london uni's e.g. barts and imperial

(Original post by Parkleton)
    Also depends on your A-level predictions, whether you have relevant work experience, and how serious the contextual data is.
    for the contexual data:
    16-19 bursary, free school meals, mass depreviation of 10% (most unis want lower than 20%)- would you say thats enough?

ReputationRep:
    if you try liverpool they rank A*and A as equal so you will score ok there. I think.

It is possible with low gcses as some unis e.g. bsms only want B in maths and Eng Lang and they dont consider GCSEs any further. Have a look at each school they vary with how they use gcses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    for the contexual data:
    16-19 bursary, free school meals, mass depreviation of 10% (most unis want lower than 20%)- would you say thats enough?
    Possibly, but they would normally require some kind of personal issue to justify lower grades. Its still worth applying, but make sure your teacher/whoever writes your reference makes it amazing and comments on your improvement between GCSE and A-level. Make an effort to get very high predicted grades, and to achieve them. Also, get some relevant work experience (that could be in a hospital or GP, or somewhere a bit more accessible like a home for the elderly or a nursery and discuss it in your personal statement.

Also, take a look at whether the uni offers some kind of 'access to medicine' scheme. I was at Southampton, and I know the students ran a programme to help those from the surrounding area who were interested in Medicine and from deprived locations/schools apply through mentoring and arranging work experience. Its worth shopping around and seeing what schemes are on offer

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Not oxbridge, the london uni's e.g. barts and imperial
    look at their website , or phone them up

ReputationRep:
    I got 6A's 4B's and 2C's (C's in french and textiles) and I have contexual data don't know if that makes a difference?

But anyway as it states in the question
    This is the link to the Southampton offering. It requires you to do an extra year, but it is much more lenient on GCSE grades

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici....page#overview

This is the link to the Southampton offering. It requires you to do an extra year, but it is much more lenient on GCSE grades

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici....page#overview
    But can you still apply to other unis for the standard medicine course,so if you apply to the BMBS medicine course and for e.g. the standard medicine course at imperial?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial don't look at GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    But can you still apply to other unis for the standard medicine course,so if you apply to the BMBS medicine course and for e.g. the standard medicine course at imperial?
    Yeah I don't think that would be an issue, unis don't know what courses you've applied for at other institutions

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are fine for Medicine- just don't apply to Oxbridge, Bham and Cardiff- avoid those which give more points to A*s than to As

Yeah I don't think that would be an issue, unis don't know what courses you've applied for at other institutions
    thanks, also for the 16-19 bursary I get the discretiary bursary not the full one and I get it because my dad get's pension credit but this is what southampton said:

If you choose the Free School Meals Criteria and the 16-19 bursary, the 16-19 bursary must be awarded for something other than Free School Meals, e.g. transport, books, stationery, printing.
    So I don't know if I qualify or not?

ReputationRep:
    thanks, also for the 16-19 bursary I get the discretiary bursary not the full one and I get it because my dad get's pension credit but this is what southampton said:

If you choose the Free School Meals Criteria and the 16-19 bursary, the 16-19 bursary must be awarded for something other than Free School Meals, e.g. transport, books, stationery, printing.
    So I don't know if I qualify or not?
    All you can do is drop them an email and see what they say. You don't have to fulfillall of the criteria, just a few to be able to satisfy requirements for the course. Email admissions and see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.