Maths Books? Watch

This discussion is closed.
someone else
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I keep hearing people tell me to include any futher reading I have done on the subject iin my personal statement.

The proplem is I dont know books what to read.

Can anyone suggest a book that might sound impresive when applying for maths.

Thanks.
dieeiervonsatan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pick a topic outside of the Maths A Level syllabus and read a book on it.
anabanana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course you should include any further reading you have done on your PS. You could read any challenging maths text book (should be available in your school library), this would demonstrate your intellectual ability. You could also read any of the books on this list www.m-a.org.uk/docs/library/2549.doc , this would show your passionate interest in maths. These would also prepare you well for interview.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further advice. Ana xxx
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Any book you read because you really want to read it is going to be better than something you read because you think you should. So go to the library and pick any book on a topic that interests you!
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What is Mathematics? is supposed to be quite good and is on a number of univeristy reading lists, although personally I find it a bit tricky (but I'm not planning on doing Maths at uni).
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by anabanana)
Of course you should include any further reading you have done on your PS. You could read any challenging maths text book (should be available in your school library), this would demonstrate your intellectual ability. You could also read any of the books on this list www.m-a.org.uk/docs/library/2549.doc , this would show your passionate interest in maths. These would also prepare you well for interview.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further advice. Ana xxx
Ooh I've got/read 5 of the books on that list but I haven't mentioned them on my (maths) personal statement. Is it worth me putting them on (I'd have to sacrifice other parts as it's already over the limit) or is the book reading thing more of an interview topic? x
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you want more 'popular' maths books (less of the equations, more of the descriptions) then you could try Ian Stewart's books or something like that.
Jenn xx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads