Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the burka be banned? convince me Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you do the research, you will realise the Quranic term for Hijab is 'Khimar' which comes from the word 'Khamr' which means to cover something so yes it does state to cover yourself up. Apart from the religious pov, I don't see why it should be a problem. A mean it's the individuals choice and if they want to do something, let them do it.

Also for those saying how if they went to an islamic country they would have to wear the Burqa, you're wrong. From my knowledge, only Saudi Arab forces you to wear the Hijab and countries e.g. Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Morocco etc have no such rule. Therefore, you can go in the street in any clothing you want.

ReputationRep:
    article 18 in the declaration of BASIC human rights, the right to hold your own beliefs and be able to express your religion, including burkas

(Original post by coolio333)
    Clearly, you have not educated yourself well enough on Islam. As, the burka is a part of Islam.
    Give me an ayah or verse from the Quran or hadeeth saying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderuss)
    Yes. There is simply no purpose for it and it is a security issue. It is not even part of Islam. I can't believe it still hasn't been banned yet.
    You could say the same of the necktie, i do hope we ban that at the same time, fed up being forced to wear the ****ing things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolio333)
    I'm a British Muslim and I'm interested to know as to why many people are strongly for the ban of the Burka?
    To be honest I think it should in the UK. I don't mean to offend any one but my RE teacher was telling me that when she visited another country on a holiday she had to wear a full length robe thing. So I kinda think they should ban it. I mean everyone is entitled to their belief and such but I think it would solve a lot of anxiety on both parts.

ReputationRep:
    Nah

ReputationRep:
    if people are free to show whatever they want, then why shouldn't you be able to cover up?

(Original post by mez_merising)
    if people are free to show whatever they want, then why shouldn't you be able to cover up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yipyipee)
    article 18 in the declaration of BASIC human rights, the right to hold your own beliefs and be able to express your religion, including burkas
    Burqas aren't part of any religion.

ReputationRep:
    You can cover anything you want, but for clear security reasons, not the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _princessxox)
    Let women wear whatever they want to wear
    yo go sista, if i wanna wear a klan hood i will !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    If you do the research, you will realise the Quranic term for Hijab is 'Khimar' which comes from the word 'Khamr' which means to cover something so yes it does state to cover yourself up. .
    What else does it say in the verse about Khimars? I think some more detail is needed here.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean the veil with only a small grid through which the individual can speak then yes I think it should be banned.

(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    If you do the research, you will realise the Quranic term for Hijab is 'Khimar' which comes from the word 'Khamr' which means to cover something so yes it does state to cover yourself up. Apart from the religious pov, I don't see why it should be a problem. A mean it's the individuals choice and if they want to do something, let them do it.

Also for those saying how if they went to an islamic country they would have to wear the Burqa, you're wrong. From my knowledge, only Saudi Arab forces you to wear the Hijab and countries e.g. Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Morocco etc have no such rule. Therefore, you can go in the street in any clothing you want.
    (Original post by wonderuss)
    What else does it say in the verse about Khimars? I think some more detail is needed here.
    Y.u.mad.bro is trying to deceive innocent, naive posters. The covering mentioned in the Quran refers to the bosom and says absolutely nothing whatsoever about covering the head, face or hair. So no, my little deceptive friend, neither burka nor hijab are Islamic :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Y.u.mad.bro is trying to deceive innocent, naive posters. The covering mentioned in the Quran refers to the bosom and says absolutely nothing whatsoever about covering the head, face or hair. So no, my little deceptive friend, neither burka nor hijab are Islamic :cool:
    I'm perfectly aware of this but just wanted to know if he/she had anything else to add (some Quranic evidence) to support his view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Burkas are completely fine, I honestly can't understand why anyone has a problem with them.

People wanting to commit crime and cover their faces don't need burkas to do so and virtually never do. It's just a silly argument that literally makes no sense.
    Agreed.Can you imagine a criminal

''Hey boss, do ya think we should wear coverings over our faces while we rob this bank''

''No way man, that would be totally illegal and against our code of ethics.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    yo go sista, if i wanna wear a klan hood i will !!!
    You should be allowed to if you so wish and the rest of society will judge you for it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Love it when anon people like you try to act smart. Please stop hiding and come forward. Onto the main point, many scholars have claimed that khimar is actually a head covering and if you do your research, you will realise the meaning behind the word and it's interpretation. Also, I don't think you know but there are hadiths which refer to Muhammad wiping his wet hands over his (khimar) which he wore on his head and his socks. Therefore, khimar here actually does tell you that it also applies to headcovering but the general meaning is as mentioned any covering.
    Now, onto my opinion, I don't care whether people cover their heads or not since it isn't my area of concern.

ReputationRep:
    You can't show whatever you want, precisely. Terrible argument.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you ban the burka, by precedent you need to ban every religious headdress. Judaism, Sikhism, Catholicism etc, all have them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.