Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Crash course on how to use the student room Watch

(Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      One thing I wish more people would use:

UN <3 Mugabe
      [ expand=UN <3 Mugabe][/ expand] without spaces after square brackets
      Actually no, don't use this please, I blocked Javascript on TSR to avoid the adblock message, so I can't see this kind of thing...
      • Section Leader
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      Actually no, don't use this please, I blocked Javascript on TSR to avoid the adblock message, so I can't see this kind of thing...
      That's awkward, it gets used all the time. Particularly in the OPs of megathreads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Doonesbury)
        That's awkward, it gets used all the time. Particularly in the OPs of megathreads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Yes, it is awkward. Never know when I'm quoted etc. I turned it off briefly to upload an image (because advanced text options aren't avaliable without it) and was greeted with dozens of notifications! Though tbf half were @RoyalSheepie (tagging doesn't work either!) spamming me.

I don't really use megathreads, happily.

But I have to block TSR's javascript, otherwise I get led down a rabbit hole of having to unblock a tonne of other things. Initially I get a completely blank screen. If I unblock a few more dodgy scripts, I get their (full page) anti-adblock message.

Only if I unblock all their ad domains (e.g. scorecardresearch.com) do I get their standard (i.e. not full-page) purple message, which I can remove with uBlock.
        • Community Assistant
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        Crash course on how to be a proper TSRian:

Content:
        1) Pick a side. Are you a muslim/christian or atheist?
        2) Pick a side. Are you STEM or an idiot?
        3) Pick a side. Are you an enlightened centrist, anti-semitic Corbynist, or poor-hating Tory?
        4) Pick a side. Are you Linux or Windoze?
        5) Pick a side. Are you a third-wave feminist or do you not use Tumblr?

Attachments:
        1) Don't commit digital blackface

Winning arguments:
        1) If you don't need to use a dictionary to decipher what you write, you're doing it wrong. Fancy words win arguments.
        2) Attack the person, not their argument
        3) Wrongly accuse your opponent of using logical fallacies
        3) Commit logical fallacies yourself
        4) If all the above fail, then just swamp the opponent in a large block of text. They can't make a meaningful reply to it, and therefore you win by being the last one to comment.

1) Don't commit digital blackface (*cough* @UWS *cough*)
        This is brilliant:rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.