Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve missed a fair amount of lectures already and was wondering if the uni takes action on this

ReputationRep:
    i don't think most unis care if you skip lectures but it'll seriously affect your work and exam results if you're constantly missing lectures

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure about Lancaster, but some universities take attendance more seriously now. They send a register around the class and if you miss a number of classes, you may be given a warning or punished.

ReputationRep:
    The 2 Uni’s my sons attend take attendance very seriously. One son had Freshers flu last year and missed 4 days of lectures but emailed to explain his illness. The following week he was called in for a meeting with a tutor not for a punishment, but to ensure he could catch up on work and the steps required to catch up.

My other son’s Uni has a register at every lecture and they take a hard line over unexplained absences and call you in if you miss 2 lectures in any given week.

I think in both cases they are keen to avoid students falling behind, dropping out or suffering with mental health issues on their own with no support. This pastoral caring aspect from the Uni’s is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say what will happen with the new attendance monitoring system that's been put in place this year, since they now have a much clearer picture across the university of who's going to what.

What will happen will depend on your department. Some will flag your attendance if you drop below 80%, other's will just let you do what you want unless you're failing.

That all being said, going to lectures is a good thing. It will help you to get better grades at the end of the year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.