Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I've been told varying bits of information so I hope you can help me.

I already received funding for a full-time three year Bachelor's course. I claimed both full tuition and maintenance loans.

What would I be eligible for if I take BSc Psychology as my second degree?

Some resources stipulate you can only receive a part time tuition fee loan, whereas others state that because its a STEM subject that anyone studying it - even if its a second degree - is eligible for full time tuition and maintenance loans.

Please help!! I'm so confused. If I can I'd much rather study full time.

Many thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerhapsPhysio)
    Hi there,

I already received funding for a full-time three year Bachelor's course. I claimed both full tuition and maintenance loans.

Some resources stipulate you can only receive a part time tuition fee loan, whereas others state that because its a STEM subject that anyone studying it - even if its a second degree - is eligible for full time tuition and maintenance loans.

Many thanks
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

From 2017/18, students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses . A list of these have been provided below.
    For further information.

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

From 2017/18, students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses . A list of these have been provided below.
    For further information.

Thanks

Katie
    Hi Katie, thank you for your reply. It was actually two separate SFE staff members over phone that said I would be able to apply for full time loans - is that information incorrect then? On the phone she said that they both come to the same final cost and that's why she said I can apply full time.

If that isn't the case, would I be able to apply part time student finance loan (aka SFE finance one half of each year) but I study full time and pay the other half myself? Or is that breaking the rules? Many thanks again I really appreciate it.

ps. Can't seem to get the link to work.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Many thanks
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

Student Finance will not fund a second degree, if you already hold an equivalent level qualification, unless it is classed as an exception course for example an NHS or Allied Health Profession or Teaching qualification.

For a student to be classed as Allied Health Professional they will need to be studying a course from the list below:

• Chiropody
    • Dietetics and Nutrition
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
    • Orthoptics
    • Physiotherapy
    • Podiatry
    • Prosthetics and Orthotics
    • Radiography
    • Radiotherapy
    • Speech and Language Therapy

Exception subjects for new Part Time Loan students.

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time honours degree in one of the following.

• Engineering (H)
    • Technology (I)
    • Computer Science (J)

The 2017/18 student finance regulations will include a further 5 categories of exception subjects. These are as follows:
    • Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)
    • Biological Sciences (C)
    • Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)
    • Physical Sciences (F)
    • Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

If the course you wish to study is not an exception course, you will not receive funding.

You may be eligible though if you were to study the course at masters level,
    you will find more information on the Post Graduate Loan here

http://bit.ly/28XNE4r

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

Student Finance will not fund a second degree, if you already hold an equivalent level qualification, unless it is classed as an exception course for example an NHS or Allied Health Profession or Teaching qualification.

For a student to be classed as Allied Health Professional they will need to be studying a course from the list below:

• Chiropody
    • Dietetics and Nutrition
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
    • Orthoptics
    • Physiotherapy
    • Podiatry
    • Prosthetics and Orthotics
    • Radiography
    • Radiotherapy
    • Speech and Language Therapy

Exception subjects for new Part Time Loan students.

This means that students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time honours degree in one of the following.

• Engineering (H)
    • Technology (I)
    • Computer Science (J)

The 2017/18 student finance regulations will include a further 5 categories of exception subjects. These are as follows:
    • Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)
    • Biological Sciences (C)
    • Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)
    • Physical Sciences (F)
    • Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

If the course you wish to study is not an exception course, you will not receive funding.

You may be eligible though if you were to study the course at masters level,
    you will find more information on the Post Graduate Loan here

http://bit.ly/28XNE4r

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona, thanks for your detailed response. I was accepted for part time funding however I was advised by two members of SFE to withdraw that application to apply full time so I'm guessing I've been misadvised?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona, thanks for your detailed response. I was accepted for part time funding however I was advised by two members of SFE to withdraw that application to apply full time so I'm guessing I've been misadvised?
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

Apologies for any incorrect advice given over the phone.

It is only part time courses that are eligible. Please do not withdraw or cancel this if you require the Tuition Fee Loan as a full time application would not be eligible.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi PerhapsPhysio,

Apologies for any incorrect advice given over the phone.

It is only part time courses that are eligible. Please do not withdraw or cancel this if you require the Tuition Fee Loan as a full time application would not be eligible.

Regards,

Stuart
    Right, ok thank you Stuart. Last questions and hopefully I'll be all sorted.

Would I be eligible for maintenance loan is I study part time? / If I self fund full time study would I be eligible for maintenance loan?

Many thanks once again for all your help its very greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Right, ok thank you Stuart. Last questions and hopefully I'll be all sorted.

Would I be eligible for maintenance loan is I study part time? / If I self fund full time study would I be eligible for maintenance loan?

Many thanks once again for all your help its very greatly appreciated.

Hi PerhapsPhysio,

Part time courses attract a loan to cover the cost of the Tuition Fee only, there is no support available for living costs with a part time application.

Studying full time, a student who does not have entitlement for years of study due to their previous study, can still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants, but it is different if you have gained a qualification.

If you were to study full -time and the course you wish to do is not a full time exception course, then because you already hold an equivalent level qualification, you would not be entitled to any support through Student Finance England.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.