The Student Room Group

Loans for second UG degree (STEM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sorry to jump on here. I have a degree in Business Management and I’m looking to complete a second degree in Social Psychology with the OU. I will not be able to do this without a loan from student finance. Would I be eligible for this? Thanks
Original post by Laupic
Sorry to jump on here. I have a degree in Business Management and I’m looking to complete a second degree in Social Psychology with the OU. I will not be able to do this without a loan from student finance. Would I be eligible for this? Thanks

Psychology is a part time exceptions course. Please apply for the finance now and our assessors will provide a decision asap.You can apply for the finance without being accepted by the OU.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello, I am looking to study a BSc in biology (R58) part time with the open university. I already hold a BSc degree that I funded myself. Would I be eligible? I have tried to make an application on the student finance website and it says I am not allowed finance. However, from reading comments from the student finance company it seems I might be able to access funding. Thank you for you help.
Original post by aajames92
Hello, I am looking to study a BSc in biology (R58) part time with the open university. I already hold a BSc degree that I funded myself. Would I be eligible? I have tried to make an application on the student finance website and it says I am not allowed finance. However, from reading comments from the student finance company it seems I might be able to access funding. Thank you for you help.

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 44
Hi, just jumping on this thread as I have a query about the STEM exemption. I am currently studying Physiotherapy FT which I receive full funding for as my second degree (I previously graduated in Law) as it is an allied health degree - I would like to study psychology PT via distance learning. Can I make use of the STEM exemption? Is it possible to do both concurrently? Thank you
Original post by ELS2020
Hi, just jumping on this thread as I have a query about the STEM exemption. I am currently studying Physiotherapy FT which I receive full funding for as my second degree (I previously graduated in Law) as it is an allied health degree - I would like to study psychology PT via distance learning. Can I make use of the STEM exemption? Is it possible to do both concurrently? Thank you

Hi, you can't study both at the same time but you can get funding for your part time psychology after you have finished your physiotherapy.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi, I already hold a BA degree and am looking to withdraw from my Postgraduate Law course to study Psychology as a second degree at Birkbeck University (CHA04). My question is, can I study full time and would I be eligible for both tuition and maintenance loans?

Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by baton-rouge
Hi, I already hold a BA degree and am looking to withdraw from my Postgraduate Law course to study Psychology as a second degree at Birkbeck University (CHA04). My question is, can I study full time and would I be eligible for both tuition and maintenance loans?

Thank you!

Hi,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

I would like to apply to study BSc Psychology PT at Birkbeck (CHA04) or London Metropolitan University (C800), I'm 43, Portuguese with ILR and hold a BA Hons in Translation taken at London Metropolitan University.

Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by baton-rouge
Hi Isaac,

I would like to apply to study BSc Psychology PT at Birkbeck (CHA04) or London Metropolitan University (C800), I'm 43, Portuguese with ILR and hold a BA Hons in Translation taken at London Metropolitan University.

Thanks

Hi :smile: - Psychology is a part time exception course, you should be eligible to apply for funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello, I would like to study Computer Science starting the academic year 2021/22 as a second degree. This would hinge on my being able to receive tuition fee funding. From reading the above, it seems I would be able to as it counts as an 'Exception' subject but funding would only be available for part-time study. Please could someone confirm this and also make me aware of anything else I should bear in mind when applying for course and finance.

Many thanks in advance,

Reed
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jwreed23
Hello, I would like to study Computer Science starting the academic year 2021/22 as a second degree. This would hinge on my being able to receive tuition fee funding. From reading the above, it seems I would be able to as it counts as an 'Exception' subject but funding would only be available for part-time study. Please could someone confirm this and also make me aware of anything else I should bear in mind when applying for course and finance.

Many thanks in advance,

Reed

Hi Reed, please can you confirm the HECoS code? You can get this from the university.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello, sorry I'm jumping on this thread really late, but I have a query regarding the STEM loan.I completed a degree in psychology and sociology funded by student finance years ago. I am now interested in studying Dental hygiene therapy (UCAS code B750). Would I be able to get a second loan or does this not count as a STEM subject?Thanks,Emma
Original post by Emmaf1234
Hello, sorry I'm jumping on this thread really late, but I have a query regarding the STEM loan.I completed a degree in psychology and sociology funded by student finance years ago. I am now interested in studying Dental hygiene therapy (UCAS code B750). Would I be able to get a second loan or does this not count as a STEM subject?Thanks,Emma

One of the SFE official reps should be able to confirm this in due course, but I believe that course would likely fall under the allied health professions exception courses list and likely be eligible for full funding as a second degree, either full time or part-time (STEM degrees are only eligible for funding as a second degree if they are part time).
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I have a nursing degree and I want to study computer science. Degree Would I need to do this as part time to get funding? Or is it possible to do it full time? Would I get the full tuition fee covered for doing this degree either part time or full time or would I need to cover some of the cost
Original post by GaryS123
I already hold a BSc and I am looking to study Physics at The Open University, would I be eligible for tuition fee loans if I study Full Time? Or only Part Time?

Hi there,

Open University courses are considered part-time students regardless, Physics is listed as one of our part-time exception courses.

Thanks, Amy
I already have a BA (Hons) Product Design degree funded by Student Finance, which I am still paying off.

Will I be able to secure a student loan to cover BSc (Hons) Building Surveying K232 at Plymouth University studied full-time? Part-time?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lilia_fellini
I already have a BA (Hons) Product Design degree funded by Student Finance, which I am still paying off.

Will I be able to secure a student loan to cover BSc (Hons) Building Surveying K232 at Plymouth University studied full-time? Part-time?

Hi there,

I think this is something you would have to contact student finance about. I know usually you can get loans for four years of study and after you’ve used your four years it works differently so it would be worth asking.

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending