Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gonna give this a shot to try and keep motivation up. I'm in year 1 of a-levels.

I got 11A*s at i/GCSE (maths, english lit, english lang, biology, chemistry, physics, religious studies, french, art, geography, computer science) and now my goal is 4A*s at a-level. I'm doing the linear courses so no AS but my school keeps us busy with end of year exams and mocks periodically.

My subjects:
    Maths - OCR A
    Further maths - OCR B? not sure why we do different maths/further maths but hey
    Biology - WJEC
    Chemistry - OCR

The goal is biological natural science at cambridge but if not then chemistry/biology major/minor version at Durham or biochemistry at Warwick, york, or birmingham. Definitely want a campus uni so not applying for the london ones.

I actually started off with physics (OCR) instead of further maths but I realised it wasn't for me. My school teaches maths and further maths separately, with the further maths group covering maths a-level in the first year then further maths in the second year, but instead of having 2 a-levels worth of lesson time we have 1.5 a-levels worth of lesson time so we do it a lot faster. I know i'm going to eat my words later on but as well as not liking physics I found the a-level maths group too slow. (I got 100% in my maths GCSE with no revision outside of lessons, i'm good at maths okay I can't help it). I switched courses 3 weeks in and it's perfect now.

Alongside study I'm trying to keep sport going (i play hockey and run a few times a week), gold duke of edinburgh, and music (I play violin). I've got gold DofE training this weekend, my violin grade 6 and grade 5 theory later this year, and I'm trying to get my 5k time consistently under 25 mins. (quite a way to go for that one, still a beginner with the running thing). Plus I've joined a new hockey club and am settling in there. I've always found the more sport I do the better my grades and music gives a nice break. I'm also doing a crest project for science and am in my schools UKMT senior team.

Unfortunately I was ill this half term for quite a bit. Stayed on top of things but had non-stop colds so it felt like I was always running at 60%, apart from when I had a throat so bad that no sound would come out when I spoke for a solid week and I felt like a dead man walking. Fun.

Hoping my health will pick up, i've been resting over half term and feel much better. Getting revision notes done now as we've finished our first topics for all subjects and have check-in assessments as soon as I get back.

I'm going to a cambridge masterclass on biochemistry on saturday in a couple of weeks, anyone else going? Also link your gyg so I can follow them xx

ReputationRep:
    ahh I tried to book the biochemistry masterclass but it was sold out your GCSEs are amazing, good luck this year!!

Submit reply
Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.