The Student Room Group

Graduated with a 2.2, got 2 years work experience in law, now starting the GDL

Hi All,

For my undergraduate it was the usual 2.2 tale of tragedy, faffed around in 2nd year and paid the price. Missed my 2.1 by 1 mark (59) and graduated with a 2.2 in History and Criminology (HONS)

In my 3rd year (where I actually did some work and got a 2.1) I found the criminology side of my degree much more interesting than the history side and my grades reflected that (got a 1st in my criminology module) and so decided to take law as my career path.

Upon hearing about the GDL I was repeatedly told that I must get some decent work experience before deciding this is what I want to do. Therefore I have spent the past 2 years building up my CV as I:

Worked as an intern in a small law firm for 6 moths
- Mostly admin stuff, the solicitor I worked with did teach me some things about law though.

Worked as a court clerk for 1 year
- more admin stuff, had to liaise with judges, lawyers and litigants in person and seal/type up court orders

Worked as a paralegal for 6 months
- preparing legal documents, handling caseloads etc.

And now I am embarking on the GDL course, where I attend to smash it (been revising the past year for it lol) and gain some law related extracurriculars on the way.

Now my question is if I do well on the GDL (Commendation +) do I have decent odds of getting a TC with a smaller law firm? (I'm not even dreaming of a MC one lol)

Does anyone have any advice as to what kind of law firms I should be going for?

Or what I should be doing to bolster my chances of getting a TC while studying the GDL?

I'm thinking that the GLS TC might be a good idea as they accept 2.2 candidate and I worked with HMCTS for a year, giving my some decent civil service legal experience.

Thanks in advnace guys :smile:
Sorry, I didn't read passed the part where you graduated with a 2:2.

In the legal sector, most employers will do the same.

Unless you talk to the right people and have a little luck, it'll still be difficult. I commend you on your determination and grit though, it's truly admirable.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by King Leonidas
Sorry, I didn't read passed the part where you graduated with a 2:2.

In the legal sector, most employers will do the same.

Ah good to see some harsh truths lol

Unless you talk to the right people and have a little luck, it'll still be difficult.

Who would you say are the "right people" are? you mean butter up some lawyers, try to shadow them, get some more WE etc?

Also not sure if this will make the biggest difference but I'm aiming to be a solicitor not barrister (I hear bar standards are a bit higher)

I commend you on your determination and grit though, it's truly admirable.

Thanks I appreciate it, I don't think grit's gonna pay the bills though lol
Reply 3
GLS needs a 2.2 minimum, so you won’t be automatically filtered out there...

Given you liked criminology it sounds like you’re more interested in a career in criminal law rather than targeting commercial firms anyway? Those are the ones where a 2.2 is going to be a big no no...

Pretty sure chambers have a list of law firms and academic requirements for a training contract, that’s probably worth a look as I’m sure some only need a 2.2, though they are few and far between.

Another option might be approaching firms without a formal training program?

Having just attended an event at a big US firm it was pretty clear doing a masters or GDL isn’t going to make up for a 2.2 at undergrad, though that is just one firm...

Personally I’d look to do really well on the GDL and target some of the less academically stringent firms and smaller firms without a formal training scheme.

Another thing to do is call any particular firms that interest you and explain the situation and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending