Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    thanks - post deleted

    (Original post by hmsqe2)
    I have been living in my second year student house for just over a month. Things have been happening quite regularly which has been causing me to have a bad experience. Mostly, this has been noise and messiness in the house.

    Today and yesterday, the bad happenings have really bothered me. First of all, we were expecting a landlord visit yesterday, so the day before I cleaned the bathroom and put out the bins and recycling (as I always do) and the morning before the visit I cleaned the kitchen and lounge. I did this because I have pride in how the house looks even if it is rented.

    When the landlord was here and commented on how clean the house was, one of my housemates made a comment which took credit for the cleanliness, even though they did nothing.

    The next morning (today) the same housemate spilled coffee in the kitchen. It had leaked into my cupboard and onto some of my food and stained the cupboard door and she had just left it.

    The most hurtful thing that happened is this: my mum had recently had a shop delivered to my house. This included the usual stuff, namely milk. I came down this morning to see that someone had opened and used a quarter of the (unopened) milk. This really bothered me because my mum has just had to leave her job and does not have a lot of money but managed to get this shop delivered for me only for it to be used by someone else without permission.

    I am well aware that most of this sounds trivial but all of it adding up has made it difficult to live here.

    I am writing this because I'm not sure how to approach it with my housemates. Sorry if anything is not clear.
    I would start by being polite and just saying 'I don't mind you using my milk but please ask me.' Failing that labelling might work (it did for me) but don't resort to that straight away.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.