Turn on thread page Beta

Free periods in sixth form. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have 13 free periods a week. Not bad

It does get boring though, especially since most of the people I know are stuck in lessons at the same time! I might see how long it takes me to get into town and back one day next week.

Although at least I can get down to McDonalds before the huge queue builds up in my free periods ...Free burger too!

ReputationRep:
    Christ! I don't even have any free periods, all what should be free are taken up by general studies, Key skills, general R.E lessons and enrichment

Last year everyone kept skiving off to the pub during lessons so head of sixth had to threaten to expel anyone turning up drunk for maths, it was all a bit stupid really.

ReputationRep:
    at my 6th form we have to sign out but we are allowed out when we want, towards the end of my first year i didnt go to any lessons for about a week!! (thats probably why im in my 3rd year now ), you seem to have more freedom than school but less freedom than college, which i think is good because you have that extra discipline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    at my 6th form we have to sign out but we are allowed out when we want, towards the end of my first year i didnt go to any lessons for about a week!! (thats probably why im in my 3rd year now ), you seem to have more freedom than school but less freedom than college, which i think is good because you have that extra discipline
    we were meant to stay in school during free periods. bah. most people went home if their free was on a friday afternoon/had driving lessons/went to work early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Those of you who go to sixth form in a school rather than college, do you have to stay at school when you don't have a lesson or can you go home? At my school we're allowed to go out at lunchtime as long as we sign out, but for the rest of the day we have to be on site. They say we should spend our free periods doing work so we have more free time outside of school, which is fair enough, but today was the first day of lessons. My school has a 3-period day; first lesson was English with no homework and second was history with one tiny piece of homework that will take me about 15 minutes to do. So I faced sitting at school for 1 hour 45 minutes (which is how long our lessons are) with absolutely nothing to do. Once I was out of school, it was so tempting to just go home instead of going back to school that I did. No one would have known except that my friend told me we had a damn fire drill, and of course they take the register. So I'm gonna have to lie and say I went to the dentist. But the point here is, why? Why can't we just go home? Personally I know that if I did have some work to do, I'd get it done much better at home without all my mates around! And we don't have to be at school at all, so surely if some people didn't work and wasted their free time, they'd only have themselves to blame when they failed their exams! They say they're trying to make us more independent learners, but they're still restricting us and telling us when we have to work.

P.S. I had my first English lesson today (literature) and we had a test!!! The other teacher is giving us a test in our first lesson with her next week too! Mean or what?
    at my school if you had no lessons all morning you didn't have to come in til lunch and if you had no lessons all afternoon you could go home at lunch. if you only had 1st lesson off you still had to come in.

Maybe you can work better at home but many can't - school is an environment where basically all you do is work...at home there aer more distractions - tv etc. If you're going to work at home anyawy then you might as well work at school. if you show your head of sixth form that you aer conscientious then maybe over time you'll eb granted more rights. And for those times when you really can't be bothered, there's always the dentist! Signing out is for fire purposes though, and must be done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    we were meant to stay in school during free periods. bah. most people went home if their free was on a friday afternoon/had driving lessons/went to work early
    thats like me, ive done in a hour, so im going shopping

ReputationRep:
    We were allowed in Yr12 to take up to 4 periods a week as "home study" so basically we could be wherever we want and the rest of the time we were supposed to be at school. However as we had a signing in/out book it was easy just to go home whenever.

In yr 13 we were allowed 6 periods off but I always took all mine and nobody ever noticed.

ReputationRep:
    In my sixth form you can go out or home if you want during free periods as long as your back for lessons (If you have any). I have 13 free periods a week by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    In my sixth form you can go out or home if you want during free periods as long as your back for lessons (If you have any). I have 13 free periods a week by the way.
    How long are your lessons??? And how many subjects do you do? I have 4 free periods a week, but each is 1 hour 45 minutes long so we only have 3 periods a day anyway. I do 4 subjects and have 3 lessons a week each for 3 of them and 2 for the other one, so 11 lessons out of 15 periods. If I have a free period last lesson, I just go home at lunch anyway but if it's first, I can't because we have to attend registration and if it's second, there's no point because I wouldn't have long enough before I'd need to be back. But every Tuesday and every other Friday, I have a free period last, so I get to go home early once or twice a week

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.