Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on these two questions:

Q) Explain how interatomic forces arise in a sample of the noble gas neon.

Ans) Fluctuations in the atom's...

Q) In a sample of hydrogen chloride gas, which of the following, per mole, is the strongest?
    a. London forces
    b. Permanent dipole-dipole forces
    c. Covalent Bonds
    d. Ionic bonds

If you could explain why that would also help

ReputationRep:
    Q1) The van der Waals forces occur when electrons are moving from one side of the molecule to the other, forming temporary fluctuating van der Waals forces

Q2) The answer is C
    It's not A because London forces are the weakest intermolecular force
    It's not B because even though that is the strongest intermolecular force it has, it is still weaker than an ionic or covalent bond.
    It's not D because HCl's bonding is predominantly covalent

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Just avoid using the term 'van der Waals'.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers were fine with it and so was my exam board as far as I know (AQA). Might be different with different exam boards and stuff though so don't take my word for it
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Just avoid using the term 'van der Waals'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyitsbeth123)
    Q1) The van der Waals forces occur when electrons are moving from one side of the molecule to the other, forming temporary fluctuating van der Waals forces

Q2) The answer is C
    It's not A because London forces are the weakest intermolecular force
    It's not B because even though that is the strongest intermolecular force it has, it is still weaker than an ionic or covalent bond.
    It's not D because HCl's bonding is predominantly covalent

Hope this helps
    Thank youu

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.