Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I need a new laptop for my school work and that. My iPad is getting old so should I get iPad Pro w/ pen and keyboard or I’ve also seen stuff like MacBook Pro, surface, surface book but these are quite expensive and something cheaper would be nice if possible. I need it to be mid range in terms of power I suppose and to have good build quality and looks I guess
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would say get a Macbook. Macbook has a long lifespan and I know someone got hers in 2011 and she is still using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    Ok so I need a new laptop for my school work and that. My iPad is getting old so should I get iPad Pro w/ pen and keyboard or I’ve also seen stuff like MacBook Pro, surface, surface book but these are quite expensive and something cheaper would be nice if possible. I need it to be mid range in terms of power I suppose and to have good build quality and looks I guess
    HP have some nice alternatives to macs, for a little cheaper, but I actually prefer the windows 10 to iOS. It's personal preference, both are good for students. I'd recommend HP more than Mac if you intend to do any form of gaming on this laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    HP have some nice alternatives to macs, for a little cheaper, but I actually prefer the windows 10 to iOS. It's personal preference, both are good for students. I'd recommend HP more than Mac if you intend to do any form of gaming on this laptop.
    No gaming

ReputationRep:
    No gaming
    Okay, then it's really just personal preference. If you like Mac, go with it!

My HP was £650 (cheaper than most of Apple's alternatives) the battery life is good, starts up in around 15 seconds, it's great for using as a student. 13" so nice to carry around. I'm afraid I can't find the model number on it. HP envy I believe? It's entirely silver.

But then MacBook pros are also highly recommended for students.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Macs are over priced and under powered, with them you are paying for the rand not the product. Steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Okay, then it's really just personal preference. If you like Mac, go with it!

My HP was £650 (cheaper than most of Apple's alternatives) the battery life is good, starts up in around 15 seconds, it's great for using as a student. 13" so nice to carry around. I'm afraid I can't find the model number on it. HP envy I believe? It's entirely silver.

But then MacBook pros are also highly recommended for students.
    i agree macbooks are nice but as a student it would be more affordable to get a hp .

ReputationRep:
    Get what ever is better for your needs. For example if you need to run photoshop then you want something with a decent processor and a probably 8 GB of RAM if it's for gcse stuff than you probably won't even need something that good. Just get something low end like a lenovo with 4 GB ram and an i3 it will probably be so much cheaper than an apple (£600-£400 less). But it depends on what you need and what operating system you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donut_mckenzie28)
    i agree macbooks are nice but as a student it would be more affordable to get a hp .
    Indeed! Mainly why I went with a HP.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    May I suggest checking out this thread in order for us to assist you easier

ReputationRep:
    Budget
    £600

Subject being studied
    Chemistry economics geography WBQ

Software that will be used
    Microsoft office

Screen size
    15.6 inches

Operating system preference
    Windows

Amount of RAM
    4GB

Minimum battery life
    7 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    500gb unless ssd

Weight limit
    Quite light to have in my bag

Used for playing games?
    No

If yes, what games?
    13 inch screen also ok

Touchscreen needed?
    No

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USB

What devices do you have currently?
    iPhone iPad

ReputationRep:
    go for mac Pro. super specs. and it barely shows lags.
    my friend owns one. I have toshiba p855. works fine since 2013. sadly the manufacturers closed this super lappie.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.