Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't fit the criteria for independent student as although I am self supporting i haven't been for long enough, I'm under 25 and I'm not estranged from my parents, but they are unable to financially support me, and i don't see why they should have to... They've supported me for my undergrad degree and I'm now a 22 year old adult paying my own way. For personal reasons, I can't move back home to do my PGCE, but as my dad is on a decent wage I will get the lowest loan amount due to means testing so cannot stay in the city I currently live and work (and did my undergrad degree). I don't see how it's going to possible for me to do a PGCE, as the year is quite intense and I won't be able to get a part time job as I'll be working at a school for most of the week/uni for the other half.

What options do I have left??? I can't be expected to fund the living costs for the whole year.... I'm on a very low wage.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cb3895)
    I don't fit the criteria for independent student as although I am self supporting i haven't been for long enough, I'm under 25 and I'm not estranged from my parents, but they are unable to financially support me, and i don't see why they should have to... They've supported me for my undergrad degree and I'm now a 22 year old adult paying my own way. For personal reasons, I can't move back home to do my PGCE, but as my dad is on a decent wage I will get the lowest loan amount due to means testing so cannot stay in the city I currently live and work (and did my undergrad degree). I don't see how it's going to possible for me to do a PGCE, as the year is quite intense and I won't be able to get a part time job as I'll be working at a school for most of the week/uni for the other half.

What options do I have left??? I can't be expected to fund the living costs for the whole year.... I'm on a very low wage.
    Hi cb3895,

To be classed as financially independent for the purposes of receiving Student Finance, you must have been supporting yourself financially for 3 years prior to the start of the first academic year of your course. As this is not the case for you, the only other option that you have is to get your parents to support your application for you to receive the higher rate of funding.

You can also speak to your College/University to see if they have any other funding available you can apply for.

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi cb3895,

To be classed as financially independent for the purposes of receiving Student Finance, you must have been supporting yourself financially for 3 years prior to the start of the first academic year of your course. As this is not the case for you, the only other option that you have is to get your parents to support your application for you to receive the higher rate of funding.

You can also speak to your College/University to see if they have any other funding available you can apply for.

Thanks

Katie

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply. Will student finance take into account the fact that I've lived away from my parents and been financially supporting myself for the past year or will they just (wrongly) assume I live off my parents handouts? They can't financially support me anymore due to a number of reasons and if the process is the same as it was means testing wise for my undergrad degree, then I know I will not receive enough to live off for the year? Then I won't be able to do a PGCE

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply. Will student finance take into account the fact that I've lived away from my parents and been financially supporting myself for the past year or will they just (wrongly) assume I live off my parents handouts? They can't financially support me anymore due to a number of reasons and if the process is the same as it was means testing wise for my undergrad degree, then I know I will not receive enough to live off for the year? Then I won't be able to do a PGCE
    Hi cb3895,

What PGCE course are you doing?

Will you be applying through Postgraduate Loans?

Thanks

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi cb3895,

What PGCE course are you doing?

Will you be applying through Postgraduate Loans?

Thanks

Katie

I want to do primary lower at Cardiff Met.
    I would apply through student finance, so I would receive a tuition loan and a maintenance loan

ReputationRep:
    I want to do primary lower at Cardiff Met.
    I would apply through student finance, so I would receive a tuition loan and a maintenance loan
    Hi cb3895,

If you are wishing to study a PGCE course for 1 year then you would apply to Student Finance for Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

Thanks

Louise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.