Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for Computer Science at Cambridge and am wondering how much of the interview is going to be maths based, and how much is going to be computer science based.

For example if you have indicated that you have done large amounts of extra curricular computer science activities (as I have done) are they likely to spend time in the interview talking about them, or will they prefer to talk about maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faction Paradox)
    I have applied for Computer Science at Cambridge and am wondering how much of the interview is going to be maths based, and how much is going to be computer science based.

For example if you have indicated that you have done large amounts of extra curricular computer science activities (as I have done) are they likely to spend time in the interview talking about them, or will they prefer to talk about maths?
    Depends on the college I believe. For me I had 1 interview on maths and 1 interview on my personal statement and programming

ReputationRep:
    https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admission...ws/?showvid=99
    GIYF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Depends on the college I believe. For me I had 1 interview on maths and 1 interview on my personal statement and programming
    Which college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Which college did you apply for?
    The best one

Spoiler:
    Show

Queens'

ReputationRep:
    It depends if you put CS or CS with maths as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emperorCode)
    It depends if you put CS or CS with maths as well.
    I'm applying for the 75% option, not Computer Science with maths, but having spoken to someone who applied last year, their interview was heavily maths based apparently, and It'd be nice to know whether that was because their personal statement was more maths based or whether that's how the interviews standardly are. As well as the fact that you can apply for comp sci without ever having taken it as GCSE or A Level, so I can see why it'd make sense to have it more maths based, as that makes it fair for those who haven't taken comp sci before

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for the 75% option, not Computer Science with maths, but having spoken to someone who applied last year, their interview was heavily maths based apparently, and It'd be nice to know whether that was because their personal statement was more maths based or whether that's how the interviews standardly are. As well as the fact that you can apply for comp sci without ever having taken it as GCSE or A Level, so I can see why it'd make sense to have it more maths based, as that makes it fair for those who haven't taken comp sci before
    What college are you applying to? They might have put the kind of interviews you can expect on their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSciCat)
    What college are you applying to? They might have put the kind of interviews you can expect on their website.
    Fitzwilliam, and as far as I've been able to tell they haven't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.