Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I am doing 2nd year Maths, but this is my second resit year so I have used my "gift year" in terms of funding, since i failed first year and this year is a resit of 2nd year.
    My university takes 2 installments of £4500.
    I am able just about to afford to pay my university the first installment of £4500 but I've had to take out overdraft and ask my retired parents for a small loan and also applied for multiple part time jobs so i can start working to pay the second £4500.

So heres my questions:

1. Would I be able to appeal on the grounds of family issues?

I basically was cut off from my whole family last year after a huge argument which has resulted in having to chose sides and I now no longer can make contact with any family members like cousins, aunts, grandparents, etc. but during this time my parents were threatening me and I was quite depressed and spent late nights arguing on skype and phone etc. and it affected my attendance and therefore my grades. Its something that started in my A levels, my parents actually kicked me out and I had to live with my grandma who i technically wasnt allowed to speak to. Its something that has only straightened itself out this summer which is why I am continuing uni, because I love maths and want a career in a related field and im confident ill be successful this year.

2. Is there a deadline for appealing?

Assuming I now pay this part of my tuition fee by myself, is it still possible that if my appeal gets accepted I would get this money back, or would they just finance my second installment of £4500 if it was a successful appeal?

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenMonkey)
    Hi,

Basically, I am doing 2nd year Maths, but this is my second resit year so I have used my "gift year" in terms of funding, since i failed first year and this year is a resit of 2nd year.
    My university takes 2 installments of £4500.
    I am able just about to afford to pay my university the first installment of £4500 but I've had to take out overdraft and ask my retired parents for a small loan and also applied for multiple part time jobs so i can start working to pay the second £4500.

So heres my questions:

1. Would I be able to appeal on the grounds of family issues?

I basically was cut off from my whole family last year after a huge argument which has resulted in having to chose sides and I now no longer can make contact with any family members like cousins, aunts, grandparents, etc. but during this time my parents were threatening me and I was quite depressed and spent late nights arguing on skype and phone etc. and it affected my attendance and therefore my grades. Its something that started in my A levels, my parents actually kicked me out and I had to live with my grandma who i technically wasnt allowed to speak to. Its something that has only straightened itself out this summer which is why I am continuing uni, because I love maths and want a career in a related field and im confident ill be successful this year.

2. Is there a deadline for appealing?

Assuming I now pay this part of my tuition fee by myself, is it still possible that if my appeal gets accepted I would get this money back, or would they just finance my second installment of £4500 if it was a successful appeal?

Thanks.
    Hi QueenMonkey,

To apply for compelling personal reasons to get funding for tuition fees, you need to provide evidence.

• signed and dated;
    • confirms the reason why the student is repeating the year of there course
    • when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

• Medical evidence from a GP
    • Letter from HEP on headed paper
    • Letter from Social Services on headed paper
    • Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
    • Death Certificate and/or
    • A Birth Certificate

When the CPR has been accepted, then fees will be paid directly to the College/University then they will reimburse you for fees that you have paid.

Thanks

Katie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.