Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I am doing 2nd year Maths, but this is my second resit year so I have used my "gift year" in terms of funding, since i failed first year and this year is a resit of 2nd year.
    My university takes 2 installments of £4500.
    I am able just about to afford to pay my university the first installment of £4500 but I've had to take out overdraft and ask my retired parents for a small loan and also applied for multiple part time jobs so i can start working to pay the second £4500.

So heres my questions:

1. Would I be able to appeal on the grounds of family issues?

I basically was cut off from my whole family last year after a huge argument which has resulted in having to chose sides and I now no longer can make contact with any family members like cousins, aunts, grandparents, etc. but during this time my parents were threatening me and I was quite depressed and spent late nights arguing on skype and phone etc. and it affected my attendance and therefore my grades. Its something that started in my A levels, my parents actually kicked me out and I had to live with my grandma who i technically wasnt allowed to speak to. Its something that has only straightened itself out this summer which is why I am continuing uni, because I love maths and want a career in a related field and im confident ill be successful this year.

2. Is there a deadline for appealing?

Assuming I now pay this part of my tuition fee by myself, is it still possible that if my appeal gets accepted I would get this money back, or would they just finance my second installment of £4500 if it was a successful appeal?

Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by QueenMonkey)
    Hi,

Basically, I am doing 2nd year Maths, but this is my second resit year so I have used my "gift year" in terms of funding, since i failed first year and this year is a resit of 2nd year.
    My university takes 2 installments of £4500.
    I am able just about to afford to pay my university the first installment of £4500 but I've had to take out overdraft and ask my retired parents for a small loan and also applied for multiple part time jobs so i can start working to pay the second £4500.

So heres my questions:

1. Would I be able to appeal on the grounds of family issues?

I basically was cut off from my whole family last year after a huge argument which has resulted in having to chose sides and I now no longer can make contact with any family members like cousins, aunts, grandparents, etc. but during this time my parents were threatening me and I was quite depressed and spent late nights arguing on skype and phone etc. and it affected my attendance and therefore my grades. Its something that started in my A levels, my parents actually kicked me out and I had to live with my grandma who i technically wasnt allowed to speak to. Its something that has only straightened itself out this summer which is why I am continuing uni, because I love maths and want a career in a related field and im confident ill be successful this year.

2. Is there a deadline for appealing?

Assuming I now pay this part of my tuition fee by myself, is it still possible that if my appeal gets accepted I would get this money back, or would they just finance my second installment of £4500 if it was a successful appeal?

Thanks.
    Hi QueenMonkey,

To apply for compelling personal reasons to get funding for tuition fees, you need to provide evidence.

• signed and dated;
    • confirms the reason why the student is repeating the year of there course
    • when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

• Medical evidence from a GP
    • Letter from HEP on headed paper
    • Letter from Social Services on headed paper
    • Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
    • Death Certificate and/or
    • A Birth Certificate

When the CPR has been accepted, then fees will be paid directly to the College/University then they will reimburse you for fees that you have paid.

Thanks

Katie

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.