Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to rant about the amount of homework set for the holidays by teachers. Now the holidays are there to relax the mind so the student does not burn out. Yes a few minutes a day for tick is expected but not hours.

I have just spent 5 hours doing some stuff the teacher set, which we didn't cover in class. So far I've watched 3 videos, done 3 lots of notes, 2 text book pages of questions, and 1 mock paper. I have got to do another 2 videos, 4 text book quizzes, 4 online quizzes, and research another subject.

That is all for one class.

Are teachers these days over the top with holiday homework, it's supposed to resting the student so they are fresh for the next half term.

This is without the obvious revision I need to do such as mind maps, index cards, cheat sheets etc for the subjects covered in the holiday homework.

I am a mature student, and it wasn't that bad in my day. Yes we'd get one text book page, some quizzes and revision, but not that lot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    I am going to rant about the amount of homework set for the holidays by teachers. Now the holidays are there to relax the mind so the student does not burn out. Yes a few minutes a day for tick is expected but not hours.

I have just spent 5 hours doing some stuff the teacher set, which we didn't cover in class. So far I've watched 3 videos, done 3 lots of notes, 2 text book pages of questions, and 1 mock paper. I have got to do another 2 videos, 4 text book quizzes, 4 online quizzes, and research another subject.

Are teachers these days over the top with holiday homework, it's supposed to resting the student so they are fresh for the next half term.

This is without the obvious revision I need to do such as mind maps, index cards, cheat sheets etc for the subjects covered in the holiday homework.

I am a mature student, and it wasn't that bad in my day. Yes we'd get one text book page, some quizzes and revision, but not that lot.
    Poor you...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    preachhhhh

ReputationRep:
    What if you made a timetable to prioritise which homework you are going to do on that day, so you don’t end up doing too much in one day. If you still do this, and it still requires 3+ hours a day to complete them all, then I guess that’s when it will be too much.

You could tell your teacher, but they’ll probably just say you have x amount of hours each day in your holidays to complete.

ReputationRep:
    Our school has a policy that does not allow teachers to set holiday homework but I’ve been given a ton of work to do. Ughhhh

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will. I need to do bite size and not all at once, as you said. I'll have to use my diary more and put something in every day, rather all in one go.

I was forgetting we had no class this week - dumb I know, so I've got a lot longer to get it done. That's stress/anxiety for you.

I just need to put it into perspective, there's a long way to go, so lots of time to process it, and relax to enjoy the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I agree

I'm in my fifth year of secondary school and I'm taking five Higher subjects, so I already expected there to be quite a lot of homework handed out. However, I guess you could say I was a little more than annoyed when I walked away before the one-week holiday with a whole truckload of work to be done.

This wasn't helped by the fact that I was staying with family for almost the entire holiday, AND that I'm lucky to be able to see said family maybe once or twice a year. I return to school tomorrow and I'm still scrambling to get everything done in time... I'm only halfway through my first English essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    Poor you...
    It will be like some practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)

Instead of ranting, you could have finished quite a lot in that time!

That's not to say that I don't understand your point. Of course I do I'm currently in the same boat as you but I'm not ranting. I'm getting it completed as much as I can.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you get to uni and you have a ridiculous amount of essays to do and have to pay physical money to access sources to be able to actually do the essays. It's the dumbest thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.