Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE mathematics 9-1 possibility for a grade 6 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last year on edexcel grade boundaries were:
    6: 96/240 = 40% (32 per paper)
    7: 124/240 = 51.7% (42 per paper)
    8: 157/240 = 65% (53 per paper)
    9: 190/240 = 79% (64 per paper)

They must be higher for 2018 w/ actual pass papers etc. I think the general 2017 performance was piss poor as well. At 50-55% a 7 is a realistic goal for you although you might not believe it. Don't worry about the last 4-5 questions just focus on getting full marks up to q12/q13 that will guarantee you a 6.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Being able to do the algebraic proofs can bag you 10 marks overall. Questions will come up like: show that the sum of two consecutive numbers is always odd (4/5 marks). Any even number can be shown as 2x (2* any no. is even). An odd number can be shown as 2x+1 (even no. + 1 = odd). Then simplify 2x+1 +2x = 4x+1. Than factorise so that 2 is outside:
    2(2x) + 1
    ^ two outside the bracket means number is even. +1 means sum is odd.
    Hence proven.

Also make the effort to remember quadratic formula, cosine rule and sine,cosine and tangent values for 0,30,45,60,90 degrees.

The first few questions will usually be ratios, probability, s=d*t etc. (Check out 2017 papers)

Also remember not to confuse units:
    1m*1m is not 1m squared
    It is 100cm*100cm = 10000cm
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabEconomist)
    Maths genie is a great revision tool that I used last year, going though all the topics From grade 4 to 9 and doing questions on each of them. Last year around this time I was aiming for a 6 but I kept using maths genie and got a grade 8. Maths genie goes over everything you need to know for the exam so if you revise it all then you will definitely get a 6 but your likely to get much higher.
    Hi, do you think it is possible to get a grade 5 if I just use mathsgenie and go through ALL the topics and I don't have any tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maro122)
    Hi, do you think it is possible to get a grade 5 if I just use mathsgenie and go through ALL the topics and I don't have any tutor?
    If you watch the videos and do questions then yes definitely. The higher you aim the higher you'll likely get so try aim higher. If you need help with any questions send me a private message and I'll explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    I said no RG uni will consider someone with a 6 a GOOD candidate. My point still stands. Getting less than a 7, even an 8, will not make you uncompetitive.
    Then show me the evidence that no RG uni will consider someone with a 6, a good candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArabEconomist)
    If you watch the videos and do questions then yes definitely. The higher you aim the higher you'll likely get so try aim higher. If you need help with any questions send me a private message and I'll explain it to you.
    Thanks so much for your help
    I will ask if I need help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.