Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Urgent, is it possible to do medicine without biology a level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of anyone who has gone on to do medicine at university without doing biology A-level. I was told by my teachers medicine is impossible without biology whilst I have been told only chemistry is required. Are any of you currently doing medicine without studying biology as an A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1feild)
    Does anyone know of anyone who has gone on to do medicine at university without doing biology A-level. I was told by my teachers medicine is impossible without biology whilst I have been told only chemistry is required. Are any of you currently doing medicine without studying biology as an A-level
    look at foundation medicine, a 6 year course

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, but it will limit the medical schools that you can apply to.
    You can find all of their requirements here:
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Medicine certainly isn't impossible without biology. There's a reason chemistry is the only requirement. That being said, most places ask for Chem and one other science. So if you've got Maths/Physics alongside, then you're fine.

As far as I'm aware (I'm not a med student so don't quote me on this) the reason they ask for Chemistry is because they won't teach chemistry whilst you do the degree, they expect you to have done it. Whereas anything in biology that you need to know for medicine, will be taught in the first couple years.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this link which gives A level requirements for each Medical School, assuming you are looking at standard entry from school. There may be other options applying through other routes. This is slightly out of date because it still refers to AS level, but you will still be able to see which are possibilities, then check on their websites. It doesn't rule you out but it does limit your options.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...el-requirement
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

You can see a breakdown of which medical schools require Biology and/or Chemistry on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    You can do medicine without A-Level Biology, it just limits where you can apply. My medic friend had to do remedial Biology classes during our first term of Medicine, but it hasn't massively disadvantaged her.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.